Downloading with Canon EOS Utility then Importing to Iphoto, Am I duplicating?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nessa RN, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Nessa RN macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2010
    Small Town, NW Missouri
    Hello! First post, hope I'm in the right place.

Here's a little background: So my husband bought me a Mac Mini for my birthday in May. Since then I've been toggling back and forth between my Mac and my PC. I finally made the leap this weekend and converted everything over to my Mac. Bye bye PC. The trouble I'm having is letting go. :) I've been so afraid to lose my photos that I had been downloading to Mac, PC and backing up on my external hard drive. Overkill, right? I'm ready to simplify so again, no more PC. I formatted my external hard drive over to Mac so it's just me, my mac and my external hard drive.

Actual issue/question: I use the Canon EOS Utility to download my photos from my camera to the Mac. Then I import the photos to Iphoto. I know Iphoto makes an original file and Canon Utility is downloading to myharddrive/pictures. I just want to verify that this is actually duplicating the images and taking up twice as much space on my hard drive...meaning there is a file under originals in iphoto and a file on my harddrive where EOS Utility downloads. If I continue to import through EOS Utility and import to iphoto, I can just delete the files imported to the myharddrive/pictures from EOS Utility...right? Because the original files will be in Iphoto. I know this seems like unnecessary work, but I need something familiar (EOS Utility and Image browser) until I get myself more familiar with Iphoto and my Mac. I know, I know. It sounds crazy.

This is a long post for such a simple....verification? I guess I would call it that. I'm figuring the suggestion will be to use iphoto to import my photos. I just want to understand what I'm doing before I make big changes as well.

Just thought of another question....if I start toying around with RAW images, should I continue to use EOS Utility since Iphoto coverts to JPEG? I honestly don't know a thing about RAW but am starting to learn.

Thanks so much! :D
  2. eng42ine macrumors 68000

May 2, 2010
    Running into a burning building...
    I do a similar thing, only I have a CF reader that I import into a folder on my desktop and then I import to iPhoto. I only do this because I'm backing up the pics on my external as well. As soon as I will do that, I'll delete the extra folder. To get to your question though, there is no reason that you'd need both, unless for that reason, I would think.

And I'm not too familiar with RAW either, so I can't really help with the second question.