Dozens of bounced emails.Virus,spoofer or what?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by E.Lizardo, Oct 6, 2010.

1. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

For the last few days I've been buried under an avalanche of bounced undeliverable emails I never sent.
    Question:Could I have some sort of virus,or has someone "spoofed"my address?
    How does spoofing work and is there a way around it short of changing my address?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Either your account has been hacked or it's been spoofed. Change your password. If it has been spoofed, there isn't much you can do.

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Simply that a spam sender (or, possibly, a machine somewhere on the internet with a virus) has used a legitimate email address (in this case, yours) as a forged envelope sender address. What you are seeing is the “backscatter”, i.e. the delivery failure notifications etc. of email you never sent failing to arrive with people you do not know.
    Probably not.
    If your mail provider supports it, you can use Signed Return Address or similar, whereby each piece of email sent out is “signed” by your SMTP server for a limited period of time to allow for Delivery Status Notifications and thereafter your incoming server rejects responses. But this can cause problems with things like mailing lists.

EDIT: as r.j.s says above, change your password anyway, in case it's a hack. Can't do any harm.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. E.Lizardo thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks all very much for the help!
    Password changed this morning and so far so good.
    I guess"password"wasn't a very secure password(Just kidding)!

I figured that if there was a mac virus capable of doing this in the wild it would be front page news.