Dozens of Republicans to urge RNC to cut off funds for Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CaptMurdock, Aug 12, 2016.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/republicans-urge-rnc-cut-funds-trump-226918#ixzz4H8gHl5fv

“We believe that Donald Trump’s divisiveness, recklessness, incompetence, and record-breaking unpopularity risk turning this election into a Democratic landslide, and only the immediate shift of all available RNC resources to vulnerable Senate and House races will prevent the GOP from drowning with a Trump-emblazoned anchor around its neck,” states a draft of the letter obtained by POLITICO. “This should not be a difficult decision, as Donald Trump’s chances of being elected president are evaporating by the day.”
    Gee, kids, what were the first TEN clues?

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I see a lot of "former" descriptors there. Gee I wonder why.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah it's really amazing that so many are just starting to see what many of us saw all along. Really people should have understood this as soon as he came down the escalator and started his "some are good people" ramblings that he was an unacceptable candidate. But so many thought he would never possibly be elected. How foolish. Celebrity and name recognition always has a chance to win over candidates people are more unfamiliar with.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    Because the current ones are still playing a tightrope game of trying to appease voters. So they say stupid stuff like I won't endorse him but I will vote for him in November. Well duh....that is basically an endorsement.

The people who are retired don't have to play stupid games. They can just tell it like it is. (But they should have been doing so sooner).

4. samcraig macrumors P6

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If current RNC staffers said this they'd be fired, and the Congressmen and Governors who are currently running are afraid that criticizing Trump could harm their re-election chances.

It's worth noting the dichotomy between Arizona Sens. McCain and Flake. While McCain has to be cautious, Flake is free to criticize Trump and the RNC because he's got another two years before he faces an election.

And, Rep. McSally has avoided talking about Trump whenever possible because she knows that she'll have to walk a tightrope, and any shift toward opposition might doom her in a tightly contested race.

To a point, the letter is right. Money can't save Trump, but it might allow Republicans to hold onto Senate and House seats and actually influence the future. At this rate, they're looking at a down-ticket massacre come November.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Once upon a not too distant time, they must have thought that Mr Trump might actually win the Presidential election, which was sufficient cause for them to hold their tongues.

Now, that it looks as though he will not win, circumstances have changed and they feel free to distance themselves form him.

7. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote for Trump are just your typical dumb RINO's and I wish they would go ahead and join the Libs.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Interesting points here, including the fact that the RNC is making sure Trump always travels with one of their staff...like a bad little boy who needs to have a parent around to keep him from acting out.

Also included is yet another politico that believes that Trump needs psychiatric help. Apparently Trump has retracted his claim that he was only being sarcastic when he suggested Obama founded ISIS.

Exactly. The man has some serious screws loose, and people are finally realising that.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Putting money toward the GOP Congressional elections rather than Trump? Throwing good money after bad.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe the problem isn't their judgement, but yours instead? And it is rather funny to talk about RINOs in such negative terms when Trump is the biggest RINO of them all!

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How the hell did Trump even get this far? People voted for him to represent the Republican Party. Talk about Republican remorse. I think Jeb Bush would have been a better opponent for Hillary but hindsight is only 20/20.

[​IMG]

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

You are right -- that one caught me by surprise also. Dole is 93, and, "you are only as old as you feel" seems to apply. I think Dole is feeling pretty darn old. Dole probably just assumed that Trump was putting on an act for the primaries.