dozens of tiny hairline cracks at the base of my macbook pro screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpetruzzo, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I just noticed them today. You can't feel them unless you run a bare nail across them. They're along the black plastic portion of the 15" Macbook pro (late 2008 model) at the base of the screen. The computer is less than a year old and I rarely ever actually move the notebook. It spends most of its time on a stand at a desk in my office. Other than that it goes out once ever few weeks to talk to clients.

I don't know what could've caused the cracks. I'm thinking it could be heat related. I just looked into it today and noticed that my cpu was sitting around 200F. I installed a FanControl which has help pretty significantly, but it doesn't seem to ever go away.

Since I'm sure that the cracks are not caused by misuse, it leads me to believe it might be something wrong with the computer. The smooth operation of this machine is crucial so if there's something wrong, I'd like to try and catch it early.

Any advice?

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

As you mentioned, I would think it is heat-related.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

if you're concerned, take it in to an apple centre.

4. bpetruzzo thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. I was hoping there might be some information I could gather here before I did that because if they send the machine away it's going to be gone for a couple weeks.