Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I just need some quick verification...

I'm right in saying that the G5 has more power yes? I can't afford the AU$ cost of the 1.8 or 2.0. I'm hoping that whatever announcements take place in the next month change the prices but if not I'm still quite torn between the DP 1.25 G$ and 1.6 G5.

They are just about the same price but which system will be better for FC express and multimedia work?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I'd go with the G4. In fact, I did. I bought my G4 over the summer. Benchmarks show the dual G4 is faster than the single G5. And with multimedia, like what you want to do, dual processors are always better. The G5 will be more future proof, given the fact that it is 64 bit. I guess it depends on how long you want to keep the computer. The G4 will be faster now, but the G5 might have a longer useful life.

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I don't want to have to buy a new one for at least five years...

but what about the heat issues with the G4?

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I thought they sent out so much heat that you could use them to warm your room?

Not such a bad idea, but still in summer maybe not a great thing!

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
My G4 keeps my room at a nice temperature ;). It is somewhat loud too, but no louder than your average PC.

If you plan on keeping this machine for 5 years, I'd say get the G5. It's not going to be as fast as the G4, but it will last you 5 years. Eventually, OS X will become 64 bit, as well as other apps. It'll be like being stuck with a G3 right now, maybe even worse.

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
So torn!

When the speed upgrades are announced in the US do they get put into place in Australia at the same time?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
couldn't you track down a refurn dual 1.8GHz G5 or even just a single 1.8GHz?

Anyway, I'd still go with the 1.6GHz it doesn't loose out that much compared to a Dual 1.25GHz and in some tasks it's as fast and faster.

It's also more future proof, and WILL see speed increase when Apple and software co. start heavily optimising app's.

The G5 is also much cooler looking! ;)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by iGAV
couldn't you track down a refurn dual 1.8GHz G5 or even just a single 1.8GHz?

Anyway, I'd still go with the 1.6GHz it doesn't loose out that much compared to a Dual 1.25GHz and in some tasks it's as fast and faster. ...

The G5 is also much cooler looking! ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I think the MDD case is more attractive than the industrial-look G5 tower. And it's a lot more compact, too.

However, a G4 is going to depreciate much faster than a G5. There are going to be a boatload of used G4's on the market fairly soon, if not already.

Whenever I mention getting a refurb 1.6, folks tell me that the 1.8 is much faster due to the dual channel RAM, and it's worth the extra $300USD.

For new machines the $AUD prices are stratospheric. If I were in Australia I'd consider either a used 1.25 dual G4 or a plane trip. Sure, I'd have to pay VAT (?), but I think I'd still save money.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
a 1.6 G5 is a much better investment then a dual G4 1.25 please remember everything running on G5 right now is doing it in G4 mode for the most part and is still just as fast or faster. when G5 apps start hitting the shelf they will blow away those dual G4's. plus that G4 system isnt going to grow at all as far as that cpu goes. Moto had stopped a year ago with that chip. with a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 you will be able to plug in a faster G5 one day. I wouldnt even consider the dual G4. just look at speed,noise,performance,amount of ram,system bus, case design etc. there is only 1 answer and thats the G5.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
the 1.6 or the 1.8: something to consider

in case you plan on adding a bunch of RAM to your G5, consider this:

adding 4GB to a 1.6 costs way more than adding 4GB to a 1.8. therefore, the 1.8 is actually cheaper than the 1.6.

everyone who already knows this, please excuse me because I'm going to explain this for the folks who aren't as familiar with G5s as we are.

the 1.6 has 4 available RAM slots and the 1.8 has 8.

4x1GB DDR 333MHz PC2700 modules for a 1.6 cost almost $1000 from the cheapest sources.

8x512MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 modules for a 1.8 cost a shade under $600 from the cheapest sources.

I definitely need to increase the RAM in my 1.8. the stock 512 works alright but it could be better.

(edit: grammar) :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i have no benchmarks or anything, bbut i switched from a dual 1.25 rev b to a rev a 1.6. I still feel the 1.6 is faster in things i do from using dual g4's for so long, but it could also be my imagination. if the benchmarks are there to prove it, then go with whats best.

iJon

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
I think the G5 wins because I don't want to have to buy a new one too soon!

I think I'll see what happens over the next three weeks and place my order in early March.

No one answered my question about speed bumps being placed into the Australian store?

Is is immediately or is there a pretty big lag?

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by junny
I think the G5 wins because I don't want to have to buy a new one too soon!

I think I'll see what happens over the next three weeks and place my order in early March.

No one answered my question about speed bumps being placed into the Australian store?

Is is immediately or is there a pretty big lag?

They appear at the same time as the US but availability lags.

I think the next bump should bring the prices down due to the strong Aussie dollar, and will also make older models (1.8 single and maybe even dual 1.8) cheaper as they get phased out.

Currently we pay too much averaging 34% over US at 1 Aussie buys 76 US cents...

US Apple Price / US at Cents / Aus Apple Price / US vs Aus (No GST) $ / US vs Aus (No GST) %

PM G5 1.6 1799.00 2367.11 3199.00 831.89 35.14 34%
PM G5 d1.8 2499.00 3288.16 4399.00 1110.84 33.78
PM G5 d2 2999.00 3946.05 5299.00 1352.95 34.29

Icedog

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2003
I, like many people here am looking at a G5. I was wondering though when these G5 apps that some of you are talking about will be released? iGave, Dont Hurt Me... any help here? Are we talking "by the end of the year" or later?

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Just wanted to bump this to see the response to Icedogs question about the 64 bit apps...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
you will be seeing 64 bit apps this year and a OS to go with it. the thing is the G5 is working G4 apps with 1 hand behind its back and its still matching those dual G4s. then you look at memory, bus,audio,video cards etc. its a no brainer, use old g4 that have spent another year going nowhere or G5s that have all kinds of room to grow. buying a G4 pro is like buying yesterdays technology. bad investment. when those new G5 apps start showing people with G4s will wish they had one.

junny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Oh well then, that seals the deal for me. Big thanks to everyone that has helped me work through my switching problems. I don't care how long I have to wait, I'm sure the G5 will be worth it. I just get more time to save up the cash!!

*jumps on the bandwagon and awaits the new G5's*

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
you will be seeing 64 bit apps this year and a OS to go with it.
Bearing in mind that Apple still sells a lot more G4s than G5s (emacs, imacs, ibooks and powerbooks vs. just the powermacs) do you really think they're going to sell software that will only work on 64-bit machines? Until the powerbooks go G5 that will not happen and even then only the pro software. There are tops a few hundred thousand G5s out there - compared to millions of G4s.

I'm not saying that programs will not use 64-bit code paths when they can but to say that programs will only be 64-bit I think is unlikely for the near future.

Coming back to the question I reckon a dual G4 vs. a single 1.6GHz G5 is a tough call especially if the G4 is cheap. The dual 1.8s and 2.0s are a no-brainer though if you want a machine now. I'd wait though unless you need it now.

Maybe even make do with a cheap emac until the G5s have a die-shrink and the clock speed goes up.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by iJon
well i have no benchmarks or anything, bbut i switched from a dual 1.25 rev b to a rev a 1.6. I still feel the 1.6 is faster in things i do from using dual g4's for so long, but it could also be my imagination. if the benchmarks are there to prove it, then go with whats best.

iJon

iJon, you're exactly the one I need to talk to!

How does the G5 1.6 compare the the revB DP1.25 Gamingwise? I have a DP1.25 setup like my signature says. If I get a 1.6 G5 I can just put the RAM and R9800 from the G4 into the 1.6 and keep rocking.
I'd like to make sure I will see an improvement going to the G5 as far as games go.
Any info is appreciated- and the more the better!

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by neonart

How does the G5 1.6 compare the the revB DP1.25 Gamingwise? I have a DP1.25 setup like my signature says.

With some exceptions (e.g. Quake), most games are not extensively multithreaded. Therefore they will not directly benefit from the second processor, so a G5/1.6 should easily be faster than a G4/1.25 (when both are equipped with the same graphics card, etc.).

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by neonart

How does the G5 1.6 compare the the revB DP1.25 Gamingwise? I have a DP1.25 setup like my signature says. If I get a 1.6 G5 I can just put the RAM and R9800 from the G4 into the 1.6 and keep rocking.
I'd like to make sure I will see an improvement going to the G5 as far as games go.
Any info is appreciated- and the more the better!
well actually im not the one to talk to. I have a sweet gaming pc that i game on, my macs are simply for everything else. only games i ever played on it was warcraft 3, which we all know will play great. i havent played any games on my 1.6 either.

iJon

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Originally posted by iJon
well actually im not the one to talk to. I have a sweet gaming pc that i game on, my macs are simply for everything else. only games i ever played on it was warcraft 3, which we all know will play great. i havent played any games on my 1.6 either.

iJon

C'mon man! Sneak out a copy of Halo from the store are run the time demo on your G5 and fill us in... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.