Dr. Dre Hancuffed outside his Malibu Home.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ibookg409, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought you'd be in favour of him having a gun?

2. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

I' didn't make any stance on this. I am for all people who are legally allowed to have a gun carrying a gun if they so choose. I thought Dre had a felony conviction though, which would disallow him from owning a fire arm.

3. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

If you're pro 2nd Amendment that must mean you want EVERYONE to have a gun, right?

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I find the story to be kind crappy. Citizens arrest at his own home? I would be real curious to see what is on the cell phone video though.

5. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

Everybody who WANTS a gun AND can LEGALLY OWN a gun.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    I just thought it was curious. As an Apple employee will they back him immediately? Sack him? Who knows.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Probably wait and see. I don't think he was formally charged yet (at least at the time). The police detained him to search for the firearm he was alleged to have.

One of the comments was great, would you block the driveway of someones home while you call the cops to say they were brandishing a weapon and threatening you with it. That doesn't make sense.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Ah a road rage incident. My feeling most are people involved with that have a sad life!

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough. Felony is serious.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

"The driver initiated a private person’s arrest on Dre, officials say."

This story is bizarre. So there was a road rage incident and this guy followed Dr Dre to his house and blocks his driveway. The driver then sees Dr Dre with a gun, and...performed a citizen's arrest on him?

I might expect the driver to flee. I might expect him to fight. But go up to Dr Dre who is armed with a gun and do a citizen's arrest? And it worked???

WTF???

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I don't know if Dre has a felony, I do know that his entire "legit street" was an act.
    [​IMG]

11. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Does it matter? Apple won't care, regardless.

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/News/apple-gives-convicted-felon-three-billion-for-beats

Except the felon in question isn't the wife beating guy who gets off on writing thuggish lyrics as a living:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...ally-attacked-defenseless-woman-la-nightclub/

The lyrics to a number of his songs should qualify as felonies, though, given how offensive and soulless they are... if he was using music to inspire other people, it didn't work as intended. Even his own song's lyrics to "Bang Bang" (2001) shows things have only changed for the worse. He's only cashing in on the hell. (Yes, I know he's given back...)

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

If the felon is too dangerous to be in public, he should be in jail.

If the former felon has made his recompense to society as part of the punishment and rehabilitation that comprise the criminal justice system, then all rights should be returned - 2A, voting, etc.

If the felon is still being punished, but is not too dangerous to be locked up, he should be on some sort of parole or probationary status. In such a case, a condition of the release may be a restriction on right of travel, privacy, voting, 2A, or other. This status should be limited in duration and in line with 8th amendment protections.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I feel the same about sex offenders and the registries.

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

That's all pretty reasonable although I don't really have a problem if someone who has committed a violent crime with a gun permanently loses their 2A right. There can also be degree considerations of the offense to warrant permanent loss of right.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not sure I see the point of the post or story. If the complainant didn't have things on video it's just their word against his. Road rage is stupid and in the end if you're daring and dumb enough to chase after someone and confront them, you do run the risk of being shot dead. If you're alone and there's not one there to confirm things, then your dead butt will not be much of a defense.

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Were the cops called to respond or were they there already, just pounding their beat?

Meh, I tried.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

So a death penalty as regards part of the bundle of rights? Is that person afforded any due process regarding such an extensive loss of right? Isn't that an awfully slippery slope back to sex offender registries? Only sexual crimes get you on one of those.

How would a violent felony be defined? Some are clearly violent. Others may not be. For example, in many states a death in the course of a commission a felony is charged as felony murder, even if unrelated.

Finally, the right to bear arms is not conditioned on non-felon status. I am fine with a restriction on rights for the period of time in which a person is subjected to punishment and rehabilitation. If the person shows they are too dangerous to be trusted with a legal gun, letting them out of jail is only going to make it easier to acquire an illegal firearm - their only way or have a weapon should they feel or be targeted (and considering their likely prior associates, they may have greater reason to fear for their safety). I'm still willing to make that restriction, but life sentences tend to and should be few and far between.

17. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I agree.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

19. ibookg409 thread starter Suspended

ibookg409

If that is what happened then the guy is pretty brave. Or stupid.

20. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The special treatment extended to Dre is because of his wealth and celebrity, not to mention his connection to LA's toughest gangsters...

His high profile alliance with Apple only furthers his protected status.

Just like Hillary and Husseins nasty capers, you'll never hear the truth about this event.

It's good to be a liberal thug in Los Angeles.

#LockHerUp

21. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Or maybe it was a white a hole making false police report. And when cops come out they check out the stories and sensibly cuff and separate the two people, releasing dre after determining their is no gun and no cause. No charges will be filed as if there were any probable cause an arrest would have been made. Dre should file civil charges against the a hole see how he deals with it in court. There is now a police report that shows what transpired and what was alleged and subsequently proven false. Nothing hurts an a hole more than bleeding money to defend his racist actions. Dre has the funds use em.

22. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

The two are not mutually exclusive, and can even look similar.