Dr. Laura To END Radio Show After N-Word Rant

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Full Story

Here's more about the rant.

LINK

I thought this would make for an interesting PRSI discussion, not just Dr. Laura, but the whole issue of the word in question. While I don't agree with what she did and often find myself at odds with how she communicates, I do think she has some interesting points.

2. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I'm glad you made this thread OP. I hate the N-Word because i feel that it sets society back decades. I'm black and i've never been called a N****R and when i hear people use that word it reminds me of the struggles that my parents and grandparents went thru.

I hate the way some rap music also promotes the word and i've seen white kids in elementary school call each other N****R. :eek:

I feel that at this point :eek: We finally have achieved the pinnacle of human rights for blacks with the election of Barak obama and by using the N-Word it takes our society back to the dark ages. And also it refinforces a "Ghetto" Stereotype that alot of Racists people use to their advantage.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- she's a horse's ass. It's about time she stopped. This isn't the first time she's done something stupid.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And as they say on /.

"andnothingofvaluewaslost".

BL.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While I agree with Dr. Laura that there is a double standard concerning the N-word, she never should have said it on air.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then perhaps those who sold Black people into slavery shouldn't have started the practice of calling them that. Then we wouldn't have ever had this issue.

How funny.. a near 150-year old thing that they started, they now have a problem with. Not that I condone it, because I don't. I hate the word, and I was the only 10 year old kid standing up in the movie theatre and applauding Richard Pryor when he denounced it and said he'd never use the word again. But you have to love the hypocrisy here.

BL.

7. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

How do you respond when you hear other African Americans use the word? Do you confront them with "that's not cool man..." or something similar? In regards to the entertainment thing, do you support artists/media (music, movies, comedy, etc.) that use the word?

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The appropriation of slurs by disempowered groups to use amongst themselves is common. Anyone who mistakes it for a double standard or hypocrisy is missing the point, either wilfully or unwittingly.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Good. Whenever I listened to her when my mom was listening, she would always practically tell the woman calling in to go back to the kitchen and be a housewife of the 50's where the woman would please the man. It disgusted me.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

The only quote of any worth from her is "I don't treat normal."

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hey now, unlike her, a horse's ass can be useful. Just think of all the things that wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for glue :p

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is my question too. Dr. Laura was wrong, she's well past her prime and has not dished out decent advice in a very long time. However, you turn on TV and it would seem that acceptable use of the word is race specific with an exception that seems to be rare and that is with the comedian Ralphie May. He is a big southern bord and bread white guy who uses this word as an adjective, noun, and verb at times.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. It's usually done to take the power out of the word.

14. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

If it's someone i know and they say that i just remind that MLK and others sacrificed alot for us and that by using the N-Word it's tantamount to pissing on his grave and the grave of those who worked hard for Civil rights for us.

I don't support artists who use that word especially comics.

15. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

It was the portuguese slave traders who created the word because in portuguese the word for black is "Negro".

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My point proven.

BL.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I don't buy the whole "take the power out of the word" argument. Perhaps initially this was the thought, but now you ask anyone who uses it if that is their intent, they would probably stare at you blankly.

No use of the word under any circumstance would truly sap its power.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nowadays, I would agree with you. 30 - 40 years ago, not so much. It really didn't become something to disempower or empower until ... well, Richard Pryor took it to that extreme, and the whole Black Empowerment movement of the 60s, starting with James Brown's Say it Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud. When they realized they could take the power out of the word by using it themselves, that's what made it cascade into what we have now. Cross that with the whole white rapper thing starting with the Beastie Boys, 3rd Base, House of Pain, etc. (not that any of those groups EVER used the word), and we have what we have now.

BL.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There's a difference between calling someone a n***** and just saying the word n*****. Context, as usual, is king.

If some Klan member goes around saying, "I hate all them damn n-words" is that really less offensive than a linguistics professor saying "n*****" in an academic setting while breaking down the etymology of the word?

It's still a double standard regardless of why it's a double standard. I do agree that anyone who doesn't understand why the double standard exists is missing the point, either wilfully or unwittingly.

Lethal

20. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I applaud your consistency and willingness to stand up for your belief about this matter. It's very admirable. :)

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In this instance I think she is right, if the word is so bad why does anyone still use it. Ban the word outright from everyones vocabulary. Just don't get mad when a white person says it but applaud it when a black person says it.

22. ranguvar macrumors 6502

It always depends on the context. Of course you can say it to hurt a black person (or blacks in general) with a racist motivation, but I guess most people use it just like "dude" or "guy", mainly because of Hip-Hop / Rap. Words can change their meaning, I guess...

(BTW, while writing this post I was listening to a rap album and they must have said "the n word" like 200 times...)

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If that is how the word is going to be used now why get so upset over it.

24. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

Well when i hear someone say "Hey N****R" or "Where is my N****R? That's something that a slave owner would say to their slave.

I mean its like some people are still enslaving themselves by using those words. And if a racist hears someone use those words he or she is probarly smiling.