Dr. Norman Finkelstein "If you had a heart you would cry for the Palestinians"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Jun 14, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh. Guess it was this for which you were saving your outrage. And there I was, thinking your outrage was non-denominational.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or you could address the actual issue. There are two sides to this story as there always are. I know some Palestinians here who have been through what going on, as well as some Jewish folks who've also experienced the current situation. IMO, from speaking with them, I think the doctor is correct. But that's just what I've heard from people who've been there.

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh oh oh, teach me, Lee - What is "the actual issue" that I can "address"? Is it that an eye for an eye doesn't work? Woooooo. How novel.

Or perhaps I already did address Advance Placement Piano's "actual issue."

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The actual issue is some people's unconditional support for Israel and ignorance for what it does in regard to Palestine. I thought that was clear. Kind of like my other favorite question, "Why do the terrorists hate us?"

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Give the Palestinians their own state. Firing a rocket across the border would constitute an act of war. Operation steamroll.

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Too true.

8. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The actual issue is coincidentally a lesson some of our posters could do well to learn.

Maybe, you know, stop being a d*****bag.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even the Indians and Pakistanis are more grown up with their border than this.

I'm sure there are exchanges of fire across their border from time to time, and I'm sure sometimes people get killed or injured - probably more often than Palestinian rockets actually hit anyone in Israel.

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The ignorance of the people on this forum to what actually happens in the region is mind numbing.

Do some research on Arab Spring to see what's behind the latest rounds of violence.

The Palestinians don't want peace with Israel, they want Israel destroyed...

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Based on what?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The state of Israel is starting to look like the new (Apartheid) South Africa. Since it's creation in 1948 Israel has been slowly losing friends and allies.
    It is totally isolated in the UN, and over the years even the European countries are no longer uncritical supporters.

Support for Israel is so intertwined with American Politics (Both Parties) that there is no way that the US would drop support for Israel.

But US power is on the wane and the new BRICS have no love for Israel.

13. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Its not paranoia if they're out to get you? :rolleyes:

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Some Palestinians want Israel destroyed, many are along for the ride and are victims of the propaganda. I think Israel has also proven that tit for tat does not work, at least with conventional weapons. I imagine the people of Israel are sick of constant tension and hostilities.

Yes, it's somewhat hindsight, but we can go back to the end of WWII and place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the Western powers who decided to plunk down a Jewish State in the middle of Arab territory without any of the local's consent.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. People's homes were literally taken from them in order to make Israel. Now if someone came into the US and did that, would we not be PO'd?

16. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Which Palestinians exactly? Every Palestinian mother and father is more concerned with destroying Israel than raising their kids?

Just like every Afghan citizen is more concerned with flying airplanes into US buildings than they are with living their lives?

Somehow we've deluded ourselves into believing that an attack against any nation (which we support) by a fringe group justifies almost any level of response against the nation which from which those fringe militants originated.

3000 dead in Trade Center, justifies the death of a hundreds of thousands in another country. In my eyes this is nothing short of spitting on the graves of those innocents killed in the twin towers.

This isn't a war, it's a feud on a national scale.

17. AP_piano295, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

This man and his family don't need a shrine to remember the holocaust he remembers because he lost his family.

When you've lost your family to atrocity perhaps you don't wan't to see those actions repeated against others, it's the golden rule plain and simple. The most basic tenet of morality.

A crime against humanity is a crime against humanity, regardless of race, creed, religion or ethnicity. It's time we start expecting the same behavior from nations that we expect from individuals.

A crime against me or my family doesn't gran't me the right to become a vigilante against another person's family.

*nice misquoting of my comment in your signature btw.

EDIT : Thank's lee, tenant = resident, tenet = moral principle ;)?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...not to be picky, but it's "tenet", not "tenant". ;) Agreed on everything else.

19. Squadleader macrumors regular

Just curious, why doesn't your hatred extend to Jordon or Egypt, who literally ethnically cleansed these people from their own territories to refugee camps..?? One more, who exactly would you call allies of Israel besides the United States of America...?? I dont mean who sells them stuff, I mean allies....Look it up...
    As far as European support waning, that only means that the generation which supported and aided the Holocaust is dying out as well as their guilty consciousness, but not their antisemitism. That has been passed on, as a Gallop poll published this past week has indicated... Perhaps you took the poll...??? It wouldn't matter if Israel was placed on the dark side of the moon...We both know it..Ill find the poll for you, or you could find it on your own, it was just this past week..

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I guess they should just accept that they were kicked out of their homes and their land taken over. How would u feel if that happened to you?

21. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not really sure exactly what your saying that's a pretty rambling post but I'll try to address the parts of it that I can.

I'm hardly a fan of Egypt or Jordan (admittedly I don't know much about Jordan). The behavior many Egyptian's recently has left me more than a little bit outraged. Their revolution while arguably justified has done little to correct the injustices/inequalities within their system. Women who were a major part of the organization and propagation of revolution are still subjugated and those who have stood against the subjugation have been assaulted/tortured/raped.

Further their new system of government seems to be heavily focused around promoting Islam which I find quite disturbing.

So I don't really know what your getting at but you won't find me defending those who promote violence, marginalization, or subjugation of their people.

This particular thread however is about how the Jewish state of Israel whose people were themselves the victims of segregation and extermination. Yet many of them are willing to enlist the same techniques used against their people to attack and subjugate another, all while attempting to excuse their actions by pointing the evil done against them.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Your post was just to much of a ramble.
    This is the only point that I could deduce.
    As far as I know antisemitism in western Europe has not really changed for the the last fifty years.
    It's not antisemitism it's anti Israeli, the actions of the Israel state has aliened even the European Jew.
    Israel has gone from being the victim to the aggressor in the minds of most of European people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/02/european-jews-criticise-israel
    http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/51308

Talking about the far right.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jun/06/israel-rightwing-europeans-migration-toxic

23. Squadleader macrumors regular

Sure its rambling, anything and everything you and your buds disagree with is rambling, stupid, discarded as a Foxnews watcher...Pepi Le pue should chime in soon, as just the mention of Jews or Israelis normally does it...
    You also forgot to mention how the Israelis are harvesting the organs of the downed Palestinians and eating their children....Just man up...

----------

Of course that what you tell yourselves....As far as being the aggressor, no one likes a Jew to stand up to anyone and just say..no..

24. Fazzy macrumors 6502

blahblah.. ofcourse Israel can do no wrong and is a rose amongst the thorns in the mid east? Yep, heard all that before, usually from some far right party leaders ;)

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000