Dr. Refuses to treat Obama supporters...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by freeny, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 184550 Guest

Taken from the article:

While I hardly agree with his mixing medicine and politics like this, I think that he is entitled to his opinion and so long as he does nothing illegal then he can continue as he sees fit.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw this in the Tribune. No one should be faced with that when they walk into a doctor's office. That is absolutely terrible.

However, I would have to seriously question his ability to give adequate care to someone he disagrees with politically. This is wrong, plain and simple. And let's quote the whole article instead of picking and choosing, shall we?

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Although the article says that this doctor is willing to treat patients who voted for obama (but hopes they'll be turned away) I consider this to go against the very ethics of being a physician. You are there to be non-judgemental. You are there to objectively treat the patient in front of you. Who an individual votes for has absolutely zero to do with their medical complaint. He's completely lost sight of what one should be in medicine for.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

He's a private businessman. He can choose to treat whomever he pleases. He's violating neither the law nor ethics of his profession.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Wrong.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no, he cant and yes, he is

ever wonder why stores can't discriminate against race these days?

7. 184550 Guest

From the link to the article the OP cites, the doctor admits to not asking about political preferences. So unless the person in question openly admits that they voted for Obama and still wants to seek care from such a person, then he would need to actively 'discriminate' against all his current clients. Which I doubt he is doing.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He cannot choose who he wants to treat. You're misinformed. Read the article.

Then why bother putting up the sign? That's a very fine line he's walking.

9. 184550 Guest

Sorry but I don't see the mention of politics in there.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So if a person was dying, you would have no problem with a doctor turning him/her away because he voted for Obama, Palin, etc?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The person to whom I was responding made no mention of politics either.

12. 184550 Guest

Sorry, I read his statement and your response with the current article being discussed (politics and medicine) in mind.

13. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The doctor is entitled to his opinion - he is doing nothing illegal by expressing it. Democrats should have thought of this before they forced ObamaCare upon the medical profession!

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It might nto be explicitly stated but as a doctor you treat everyone objectively, irrespective of X. That's the ethics you sign up for and abide by. If you can't manage it you're not in it for the best of your patients. Placing signs to discourage individuals from attending your clinic on grounds of X is absolutely and utterly unnecessary.

15. 184550 Guest

I completely agree that he shouldn't be doing this, however, this seems to be protected under the current set of laws and until those laws are changed, he is entitled to do as he sees fit and as is within his legal right to.

16. 184550 Guest

I completely agree. However, he is within his legal right to do so at the present time.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The doctor is entitled to his personal opinion.. for his personal life, not his professional dealings

That opinion is not one to be portrayed by the services he provides

Personally, I hope he gets his license taken away

I argue otherwsie. The intent of those laws clearly cover this. Any court would see it that way.

What do you want, every case of potential discrimination written in black an white? How about he not provide services to those of black hair? It's legal right according to you, no?

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Even though there is a loophole, doesn't mean it is right to use it......

19. 184550 Guest

All the more reason to close it up.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He may not be doing anything illegal, but his political opinion is completely irrelevant. Only his medical opinion is of any interest to his patients.

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

Of course he can refuse on any of those bases, as long as it doesn't violate any agreements he has with any federally or state funded programs. That would be illegal.

And as long as it's not an emergency. That would be unethical.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Hippocratic Oath (Modern Version)[10]

“I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

23. Hmac macrumors 68020

He won't. He's not doing anything that provides a basis for doing so.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, you're right. It is fine to discriminate on such petty grounds. I'd be willing to bet courts see it just like you do...