Dr. Sue Sisley PTSD/marijuana study back on - but not in AZ

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Wild-Bill, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Wild-Bill, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

"Dr. Sue Sisley was supposed to conduct a PTSD/marijuana research study in Arizona at the University of Arizona. However, due to political wrangling, the University of Arizona terminated her research. Dr. Sisley has stated many times that her research was terminated there after politicians at the Arizona Legislature pressured the University of Arizona to do so. The Arizona Legislature and the University of Arizona have refused to comment, but it’s pretty obvious that’s what happened."

"On Friday, Sisley’s contract at the UA officially came to an end. The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies has been working with her to find a location that will allow her to research marijuana to the extent needed for her study. Sisley’s research is on the effect of marijuana on post-traumatic stress disorder in veterans.

“I have a very important announcement about the sites where this study will ultimately be conducted,” Sisley said. “We are splitting the entire study in three parts. Two of my sites have been officially confirmed.”

Good on her for not giving up.

LINK

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

pot is bad for you, 37 people died from it in Colorado.

[/S.

it is still a federal crime to possess POT in SOME states. AZ seems to be one of them.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's a federal crime to possess pot in ALL states, but the feds choose not to enforce it any longer. This is one of the few things I like about Eric Holder.

5. Wild-Bill thread starter macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I was going to address jkcerda until I saw the [/S] ;)

Just saw that some in the NJ assembly are trying to get PTSD added to the extremely short and politically-motivated list of qualifying conditions in the country's worst MMJ program. Gov. Krispy will surely find a way to block that bridge too...

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It still might affect funding

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

She has secured funding already. This story has been developing for a good while...

In April 2014, University of Arizona assistant professor Dr. Sue Sisley made headlines after winning federal approval to test marijuana on veterans suffering from PTSD. That made her the only academic in America to get a government go-ahead for cannabis research—and one of just 15 people to get such approval in the last two decades.

However, she was terminated from the University of Arizona in August. America’s only federal-approved academic marijuana researcher had the floor pulled out from under her. Dr. Sisley stated many times that her research was terminated there after politicians at the Arizona Legislature pressured the University of Arizona to do so.

Since the termination, Dr. Sisley and her funder, the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, have been trying to relocate the study.

Dr. Sue Sisley recently announced that two site locations for her marijuana research are confirmed, one of which may be in Colorado. Dr. Sisley has not released the names of the two confirmed locations.

source #1, source #2