Drag and Drop on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by mariusignorello, Jun 14, 2017.

?

Would you use drag and drop on iPhone?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

63.0%
  2. Maybe, on a device with a 4.7” or 5.5” screen

18.5%
  3. No

18.5%
  1. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

It exists, just not to the users of the beta that Apple released last week. l’m not going to be the one to go into specifics on here for obvious reasons, but someone already mentioned this on Twitter, so I’ll drop the link for entertainment purposes: https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/status/874272006476267520

File a Radar feature request if you’d like to see this in an upcoming beta.

2. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

There’s at least a couple of places drag and drop already works on the iphone in this early beta, without any workarounds. It makes a bit less sense on iphone imo

3. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

The above implementation is interprocess, whereas in the current beta, only in a single app or process can you drag and drop.

4. epca12 macrumors regular

I think this is similar to the drawing features on the iPhone, nobody's going to really use them but maybe Apple feels obliged to put them on there instead of being iPad exclusive

5. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting. Thanks for your opinion!!

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Sorry, I didn't see an interprocess example in the video, could you explain?

just leaving this here as it's relevant https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/drag_and_drop

7. stulaw11 Suspended

Within an app only, per the developer doc above, not so much use.

If there was a way to drag and hold it, hit the home button (or the virtual one on the iphone 8 which should in theory work as it's no different than the ipad bringing up the dock and another app), and then open another app and drop then I'd say yes.

8. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

9. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

10. epca12 macrumors regular

That makes me realise how great it can be for in app use, especially like the photos example

11. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

You can open the app by tapping with another finger or by hovering. I will remind you that the behavior shown has been modified internally by changing properties not available to the user.

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yes to be clear I'm asking about the actual public behaviour for iPad. Can you do what's in the video? I know the behaviour I mentioned (hover over app to open while dragging) which is shown in the video is publicly disabled for iPhone, but not sure if disabled for iPad.

13. KittyKatta, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Yes and No.

My opinion is that there should be a "Pro Mode" toggle. By default then Drag/Drop, Multitasking or the Dock should be turned off. But for those who want it (and don't mind having website elements constantly sticking whenever you scroll through a page) then let it all be available.

14. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, if you drag a file over an icon, the app will open (interprocess).

15. mariusignorello thread starter macrumors 65816

So that Radar I filed... it was marked as a duplicate and engineering didn’t leave a single comment which is unusual. But I know why lol. Needless to say that’s the quickest they’ve taken action on one of my Radar reports.