Dreading lightning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MrXiro, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've ordered the iPhone 5... really no turning back now... I mean I CAN but I like shiny and new toys... but tonight i was driving. Docked my iPhone 4S into the brand new set up I got for my wife's iPhone 4 in her car. A 30 pin cable that goes out to a separate USB cable for charging and a line out cable... and I was able to drive for an hour with no issues listening to music... come a few weeks when I get my iPhone 5 I will no longer be able to do this. Just dock to my cheap set up, be able to charge my phone and play music at the same time.

Well not without the adapter, which should cost more along the lines of 9.99 not 29.99. And when I do get the adaptor I will have to bring it in from the car to the house to plug it into my Dock clock or any of the other 3 devices I have that accepts iPhone's old 30 pin connector. Blah such a hassle.

I am just dreading it. Anyone else?

#firstworldproblems.

2. Lyrical macrumors regular

3. paulink macrumors member

Nope, sold my ipod dock with my ipod touch so I no longer have any ipod accessories.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

It's really not a huge deal. You'll have to take the phone inside... some how life will go on.

5. indianboynyc macrumors regular

isnt the wire still the same? its usb to lighting, no? cant u still plug in the usb to the dock thingy??? get a converter for other items and just bring that with u where u go, life will still go on man

6. ceiph macrumors regular

my car uses a usb cord with an ipod cord attached to it, swap the usb cord. done, solution b my car has Bluetooth, solution 3, aux in, Real first world problems dont exist... ok maybe if you spent $600 on a zeppelin air but than i would just say airplay :)

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

Apple want you to use Bluetooth and AirPlay in the future. :D

Get a BT to Apple 30-pin dock connect. Easy.

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

2 years ago I would have agreed.

I do everything without wires these days.

9. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

OP - what is lightening? From my experience in the aircraft industry, lightening involves literally designing parts to be lighter.

Lightning on the other hand can potentially be the new apple cable/port you're thinking of. :cool:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Meh,
    It doesn't bother me - I have too many other things that are a higher priority for me to really get upset about apple changing the connector

11. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

THIS!

And some people seriously need to get one.

Its not that serious.

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

The only thing I'll have to deal with is changing the cable to my iMac when I go to sync my devices; iPhone gets lightning, iPad with the old 30pin.

Will it be a hassle to change plugs? Sure. Will I still manage to get by in life? You bet!

13. profets macrumors 68040

I agree. I really only find myself using a cable to charge. In the car, speakers at home, itunes sync, or media through the Apple, I do it all wirelessly.

If anything a second USB cable would be more useful to keep with me at work.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Transition always sucks. House, car, office I have 30pin cables/docks, with the arrival of the lighting, I am not really seeing any benefit, and loss of connivence to be honest, though in time it will be like my firewire connectors, all gone

15. Dannyking macrumors newbie

Dannyking

The way i see it is that the 30 pin connector has lived for 9 years now and needed to go. Its a big connector taking up room that new things can fill.

I can remember phones of old that charger/data ports seemed to change on ever phone (samsung were the worst for it)

Really not an issue, theres always going to be a minority that are effected by change.

16. J0NNY macrumors newbie

It won't be too long until you can get ten adaptors off eBay for the same price as Apple want to charge for one?? I still think they should include one with the iPhone 5 though??

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple is really out of control on how often they have changed the connector.:D

[​IMG]

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I like the smaller connector and the fact it can work in either direction, but I really wish it was magsafe2. I really like it on the new macs =/

19. Dannyking macrumors newbie

Dannyking

That picture says it all!

20. Arran, Sep 16, 2012

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yep, I was about to order two new 64gb iP5's to replace our out of contract iP4's.

Then I thought about all the dock connector accessories we have: half a dozen ($100+) speaker docks scattered around the house, gps cradle in one car and full iPod integration in the other, withings blood pressure monitor, a ton of charging and sync cables, car chargers, travel chargers, battery packs, video out cables, etc, etc.

Anyway, the thought of giving up the convenience of all that lot made me buy two iphone 4s's instead. I'll be sitting this transition out for a couple of years. Hopefully prices will come down and the stampede to buy adapters and accessories will be over. I remember what it was like when the iPad camera adapter came out. Folks were grabbing them to sell on eBay for double the money. It was impossible to get them at retail for quite a while and that was for an item that wasn't really essential. I predict a bloodbath when the lightning adapters start to become available (unless apple have stockpiled them and are ready to flood the market?)

Just to be clear, I really like the idea of lightning. It seems like the way forward technically and I'm sure its full capabilities will grow and be revealed over time (unlike the old connector that's a fixed-pin dead-end). But the transition is going to be painful.

21. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Wait a month and you can buy a much cheaper adaptor on eBay from china.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Well, if it's an active cable with embedded chips (like thunderbolt) it might be a longer wait. They're much harder to copy and bearing in mind the windfall profits apple must be expecting, I imagine they will be thoroughly patented and aggressively defended. The lawyers are likely on standby right now!

The article below doesn't expect cheaper thunderbolt cables before 2013 - a full two years after its introduction in feb 2011:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/why-thunderbolt-cables-will-be-expensive-until-2013/

Draw your own conclusions about how lightning pricing will play out.

23. MrXiro, Sep 16, 2012

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

It was nearly 2 in the morning after a late night of being out. I'll be sure to correct you over your spelling and grammer from here on out...

----------

Yeah this is what I mean... All my devices in my home that I use to charge my iPhone/iPod/iPad will be useless for my new iPhone.

And don't get me wrong. I LOVE the idea of the new cable... just the not the loss of convenience.

Also I think I lose the ability for my 2 clocks and a stereo to control my new iPhone. Even WITH the adapter none of the buttons on my device will actually be able to control my iPhone. :mad:

24. darster Suspended

I still prefer the sound quality of a wired iphone to my car, vs BT. You lose a lot via BT. For some, sound quality means nothing, but if you have a premium stereo system in your car, you quickly discover how crappy BT audio is.

25. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Luckily (not so much) my car will only allow me to play iPod via FM transmitter. So it doesnt make much a difference to me.