Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Has anyone run into issues with the product activation garbage with Dreamweaver? I've had to call and re-activate 3 times now (since November) because I've either re-installed (archive and install) components of OSX, or once because of a crash.
Talking to Macromedia product activation people last night was no help. The gal on the other end actually had the gall to say things are less complicated on the Windows platform! They said my only option is to transfer the activation if I know I'm going to perform any upgrades, and if it happens because of a crash, I just have to call back and get lectured again.

One of the reasons I switched back to Mac after many years with the PC was to avoid these activation issues that are plauging the PC world. looks like there's no escape.

Is anyone trying to do anything about this? :mad:

fortgreen1

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
fortgreen brooklyn ny
close the port once youactivate initially?

it may be illegal do to so? I don't think it is if you do own the licence.
I heard that there is a software to block the port for checking authenticity with macromedia (I think in this case after you do the initial activation. once your thing is installed) I've nceer used it or anything so I don't even know if it is legal or what.
But if you do fully own the program and having issues this is totally macromedia's fault, I almost see lawsuits against them. it's like not owning 100% of a product but we are leasing the program. anyway goodluck.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
the software (or one such package) is called "little snitch." it tells you what programs are phoning home and you can allow or disallow as you please.

i haven't upgraded to MX04 yet, but i wonder if it would work if you stopped it from phoning home... for instance, you can't play protected AACs from the apple store without an internet connection, because it has no way to authenticate. might MX04 do the same thing if you stopped it from trying to authenticate?

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
"might MX04 do the same thing if you stopped it from trying to authenticate?"

Probably not. If it doesn't see the connection, at least the first time you install it, it'll just time out. I'm not sure if it's the fact I'm changing something is OSX or if it's because I have to re-install the "archive and install" problem patch from Macromedia.

Good suggestions though, thanks. I'm just surprised this isn't happening to more people.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Unfortunately product activation is not going anywhere any time soon. Its unfortunate but it seems here to stay. Adobe will be implementing some sort of activation system on the mac platform soon too. Last i heard it was being tested internally.

That being said....

I've used macromedia products for years. And the MX 2004 suite has to be the buggiest yet. I've reinstalled flash 3 times(fortunately i remembered to deactivate the license prior to reinstalling). Some issues develop that appear to not be solvable by any means other than a software delete and reinstall (very un-mac like). Now add to that the fact that that if you forget to deactivate the product you have to spend 30mins on the phone with macromedia and you have a small disaster on your hands.

I'm glad they finally released the patch for Dreamweaver MX 2004. I was having so many issues with it, it was costing me hours at work.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
sonofslim said:
the software (or one such package) is called "little snitch." it tells you what programs are phoning home and you can allow or disallow as you please.

i haven't upgraded to MX04 yet, but i wonder if it would work if you stopped it from phoning home... for instance, you can't play protected AACs from the apple store without an internet connection, because it has no way to authenticate. might MX04 do the same thing if you stopped it from trying to authenticate?

MX 04 still works without an internet connection, I have a copy on my laptop also and use it all the time outside of my home or office.

According to macromedia the authentication is a one time send and receive for the initial activation.

Also, you are allowed to install it on two computers that will not be used simultaneously. I have the same license activated on both my work G5 and my powerbook.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Also, Here is the FAQ's about activation from the Macromedia site.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/activation/faq/

of note is this:

Do I need to be online to use Macromedia software that includes activation?

Activation is a one time process. Once you have activated, you do not need to be online to use your software. If you wish to transfer a license, or repair your activation, you must be connected to the Internet or call our product activation center which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
My wife went through that nonsense. She had freehand (MX, but with a recent revision) installed on 2 computers, then her drive failed. She didn't know anything about activation until she tried to install it on the new drive. She called Macromedia and explained the situation. They said you get 2 activations and that's it. If you crash 2 drives you're out of luck. BS. Consequently she's using a lot more Adobe Illustrator.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Horrortaxi said:
My wife went through that nonsense. She had freehand (MX, but with a recent revision) installed on 2 computers, then her drive failed. She didn't know anything about activation until she tried to install it on the new drive. She called Macromedia and explained the situation. They said you get 2 activations and that's it. If you crash 2 drives you're out of luck. BS. Consequently she's using a lot more Adobe Illustrator.

I think you may have misunderstood the '2 activations'. It does not mean youc an only activate the software twice and after that it will never work again. What it means is you can only have two concurrent activated installs. If the software was limited to only two activations, i'd be in trouble as i've reinstalled flash 3 times for various reasons. So, as long as you deactivate a computer you can install it on another one. For example i have mx 2004 intsalled on a G5 at work and my powerbook for working remotely. When i upgraded my powerbook to a new one, i deactivated that computer (you can either call them or do it from the app). I was then able to activate the software on my new powerbook. If you forget to deactive you have to call them and plea your case, usually getting a lecture in the process, but I've never heard or them telling anyone with a valid story that they can no longer activate for a license that they own.

Oh, and your wife is better off using illustrator for reasons other than activation issues. Its just better.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
fortgreen1 said:
it may be illegal do to so? I don't think it is if you do own the licence.
I heard that there is a software to block the port for checking authenticity with macromedia (I think in this case after you do the initial activation. once your thing is installed) I've nceer used it or anything so I don't even know if it is legal or what.
But if you do fully own the program and having issues this is totally macromedia's fault, I almost see lawsuits against them. it's like not owning 100% of a product but we are leasing the program. anyway goodluck.

You don't own the application anyway--you only own a licence to it.

It would be nice if the activation were smoother on the upgrade but they missed something. They did have a notice in the support area for it, but I missed it before upgrading too. :(

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Thirteenva said:
I think you may have misunderstood the '2 activations'. It does not mean youc an only activate the software twice and after that it will never work again. What it means is you can only have two concurrent activated installs.
And if you lose an installation to a drive crash or something and don't get a chance to deactivate then you lose that installation. Do that twice and you are out of installations. That's what Macromedia says. My wife asked them to reset her activations after her drive died and they said they couldn't do it.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
boycotting or pirating the software are two methods of civil disobedience that won't get you much more than peace of mind, but hey that's enough for me.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Dreamweaver MX

I have Dreamweaver MX and didn't have any activation issues. When I read a review of Dreamweaver MX 2004, the activation part killed the deal for me. I didn't want to upgrade and have to activate the program for the new additional features. Perhaps if the additional features aren't needed for you, you can find a copy to purchase online of the older Dreamweaver MX version for a discount.

I bet Microsoft Office 2004 will have the activation feature. Since they didn't bother to include Access and very little has changed with Word, Excel and Powerpoint then I won't upgrade that program either.

I use to upgrade each of my programs whenever a new version would come out but nowdays the new features are not worth it. Norton Utilities for Windows is a good example. They even removed features. I had the Mac version of Norton for OS 9 a few years back and it didn't do much.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Horrortaxi said:
And if you lose an installation to a drive crash or something and don't get a chance to deactivate then you lose that installation. Do that twice and you are out of installations. That's what Macromedia says. My wife asked them to reset her activations after her drive died and they said they couldn't do it.

I'd call and talk to somebody else, I can personally vouch for situations in which people lost an installation after installing panther and macromedia allowed them to reactivate.

jennyjennydz

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
Horrortaxi said:

You then have a moral obligation to insert your foot into their collective backsides by using the "Macromedia Activation Workaround" commonly known to software pirates and disgruntled Macromedia customers.

Software EULA's are legally unenforceable and therefore essentially meaningless beyond their attempted guilt infliction. Anyone who says different should have gone to a better law school. Contract Law 101, baby. Terms of the contract cannot be amended unilaterally after the transaction has occurred. End of story.

Oh, and everyone should be using LittleSnitch. Macromedia's apps often attempt to secretly talk to Macromedia - as LittleSnitch will tell you and then allow you to permanently block.

--

WAR IS PEACE
INGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
jennyjennydz said:
You then have a moral obligation to insert your foot into their collective backsides by using the "Macromedia Activation Workaround" commonly known to software pirates and disgruntled Macromedia customers.

Not being a well versed pirate, can you point me in the right direction?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.