Dregs use vile campaign tactic

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is this even legal? If it is, why?

A campaign mailer attacks John Fisher's support for the ACHA, attributing all kinds of bad effects the health care law has caused. At the bottom, it says you can call him at <number> to tell him you disapprove. <number> rings the phone beside the bed of Mrs. Fisher, his 91-y/o mother who is in hospice for congestive heart failure.

Because, freedom?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Making elections and politics personal is a slippery slope toward violence. People in US need to stop polarising and start respecting each other views, even if the views are sometimes held by the ignorant, selfish, short-sighted members of a certain party on the right. :p

4. pdjudd, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

pdjudd macrumors 601

How the heck did this person (who wrote the ad) get the information where his mother is located at much less know she is in hospice? Surely that isn’t public knowledge. None the less, any phone number in that ad won’t be ringing her bed. Somebody no doubt has called the hospice to get that number temporarily disconnected not too long after this aired.

Who thought this was a good idea? Honestly, not only do you lie about the phone number - it’s not a number associated with the candidate, you call a private business (the hospice facility probably doesn’t want to be involved in this much less risk having patient phone numbers be public for privacy) and you bother a woman who isn’t involved in the election and is suffering from heart failure. The stress alone can cause harm (heck, it might even kill her).

ETA. What makes me sad is that people will still try and harass this poor woman despite all of this.

ETA2: Well part of my question has an answer:

They didn’t get it from the facility apparently. Still scummy though since they either didn’t even bother to check where the line went to, or they did and didn’t care (more likely that due to the ad’s wording).

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The question I have is this:

Do people actually call those numbers as a result of seeing them in a mailer or on TV?

I'd tend to think probably not. Or at least not very many do.

And I don't think the goal really is to get people to call. I think the goal is rather to get people energized to go and vote the person out of office.

Its still a pretty crummy tactic. But the old lady can always have the number disconnected.

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

Even if there was one person, it is too many. This guys mother doesn’t deserve to have her privacy violated.

And I am willing to bet that the ones who do call (and I bet there are several) are the more vocal critics and will be the harshest.

If the GOP wanted to be responsible, they would have posted his public number (he has one). Not a number that was not intended for the public and went to the last place.

Well the son will get it disconnected (its in his name), but he should’t have to do that when his mother is in the position she is in.

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

8. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

It kind of pisses me off, that we cannot just pass a law, "don't be an a**h***" and let the courts figure out what that means. This should be treated as felony harassment.

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

Sadly I doubt that I could trust the courts to appropriately interpret such a vague concept. There is probably a judge that would consider this not being a you know what...

Sadly, Wheaton’s law only really seems to work when you consider things before doing them, not looking at things after they are done.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, there ya go. Some staffer used that number because it is registered in John Fisher's name, but he could not have known where the phone would actually ring. Sure, they should have tested it but they didn't.

No story here.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/10/portage_democrat_john_fisher_d.html

11. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Have you actually watched the antics in the House of Commons? Makes me cringe and laugh when the elected talk all kinds of **** about each other in full audience of others.

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

What’s odd to me is that your link states this:

That means that the Republicans already knew his personal phone number and while I don’t think it’s appropriate for that to be a political technique, that’s not by call, that just makes me ask why they bothered to be so hasty with another number when they already have done this before. So, either one of two things happened here.

1) They got the number not caring who it really went to - really stupid to assume in this day in age that “number X being registered to person Y means that person Y will always answer”. Only got this way without calling before printing.
    2) They called the line before making the mailer (sensible) just to see where it would go (after all what if it was a staffer or a stranger who might not like getting calls from republicans), and they thought the idea of his mother in hospice would be an ironic destination to send calls about healthcare. Malicious as heck.

This assumes that the GOP didn’t have his number before and wanted to try this stunt and failed badly. Fisher says otherwise. That makes things more malicious. This is why this type of campaigning is so risky and dumb. If you are going to give out your opponents number, do it to a number you know actually goes to him. Even if it is an office number.

13. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

On the one hand, because of the content of the mailer, I tend to lean toward option 2. It seems like a pretty pointless and mean-spirited approach, but the people in question are of a group who have been observed to exhibit extreme sociopathic behaviors. If it was in fact intentional, it would be comparable to swinging your fist at a person you disagree with, hoping to land a blow that will make him stumble.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There's a difference between banter to someone's face and getting members of the public to call up a politician and harass them. Then there is a difference again between that and getting members of the public to call up a politicians dying mother.

If a politician did this they'd be expelled from their party.

15. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Now the other candidate, a Mr. Iden, is deflecting: "Obviously, it was not sent out by our campaign ...", followed by saying that he hopes Mr. Fisher does not go to start using negative campaign tactics – which kind of sounds like he is trying to criticize Fisher's complaint. Curiously, Iden did not seem to say anything that might criticize or repudiate the people who did send out the mailer.

16. pdjudd macrumors 601

Wel to be fair Iden’s group didn’t actually send out this mailer, it was the state GOP group. It’s a small but important distinction to make since they have the same goals, but they can do things independently of Iden.

Not that I disagree with you. Iden doesn’t seem to be too eager to distance himself too much and still attack his opponent. He is going to play the card of “it wasn’t my group that did it and I’m being blamed by Fisher” as long as he can.

17. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Well you have to give the Republicans their props at having integrity.

If by integrity you mean that they are always dependably dishonest, elitist, exclusionary, racist, sexist, bigoted, heartless assclowns.

18. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde