Drink up.You'll live longer !!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

A new paper in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research suggests that - for reasons that aren't entirely clear - abstaining from alcohol does actually tend to increase one's risk of dying even when you exclude former drinkers. The most shocking part? Abstainers' mortality rates are higher than those of heavy drinkers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/085992...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDaGVhdnlkcmlua2Vy

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

On a related note, I always find it odd that in crash situations involving drunk drivers, the offending driver is seemingly less likely to die than his or her sober victims. I've postulated two different ideas: first, that the effect of alcohol on the blood somehow makes the driver more likely to survive his injuries; and two, that the driver's lack of muscular preparation for impact (read: no clinching of muscles or attempts to shield oneself) actually works in the driver's favor. I openly admit that I may be more likely to hear of cases where the drunk driver survives because it has more ability to incite the public's rage, skewing the reality.

All that being said, I do not drink for a variety of reasons: financial, taste (haven't much cared for the various things I've had) and fear of dependence.

edit: I also suppose that the fact that the angle of incidence for the drunk driver usually being head-on as opposed to an uncontrolled angle for the victims' vehicle may also play a role.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think the latter postulation is sound.

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I had always heard the "ragdoll" theory, but of course this article has nothing to do with survival of accidents.

I would like to see a control for whether people who drink moderately tend to be more socially engaged than people at either extreme, and whether it is indeed the social interaction that promotes better health.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The question would then be "Does a greater proclivity for social interaction reduce the trauma of vehicular impact?" Perhaps a rigorous series of real life tests would provide the answer you seek.

6. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Pursuant to your question, I have to imagine that a phonebooth full of humans like scenario would in fact provide mutual shielding and impact absorption.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctrLrhrXB1M

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Are you telling me to go play in traffic? :(

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I love the fact that one of them had the presence of mind to take his suitcase with him! :)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not you personally...

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Hey, those weren't necessarily illegal immigrants. Maybe that van came from the local clown college. Possibly an exam of some sort.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

When I was in New Orleans last for Mardi Gras my friend hit someone with his car. It wasn't our fault since the guy ran out in the middle of the road without paying attention and we had no chance to react.

The guy was very drunk and I thought we killed him. He still had a pulse and didn't even break a bone. We were probably going 35-40mph and I'm confident that him being drunk is what saved him.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh yes. :cool:

I was making premium wine (by my taste) at $4 a bottle, but I was hitting it too hard, as in a bottle a day.

Now I am saddled with a Kilkenny habit that eclipses my former pay-out.

I need a kick in the ass, is what I need.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always an interesting race to see if your heart explodes from the stress, or the liver fails from the alcohol first.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I believe that race has run it's course.

Stress kills.