Drinking and religion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TRUTH, Jul 26, 2007.

1. TRUTH macrumors newbie

MPW....
    I didn't drink wine in my life coz my religion prevents us from drinking such things ....
    all the researches agree that these drinks cause many diseases as it contains alot of alcohol which is so dangerous !!
    read this
    http://www.unm.edu/~cosap/RESEARCH.HTM#heavysocial

I do want to give u my advice that's all :)

2. mpw Guest

That's why I'm not religious, 'cause of the things religion prevents: drinking, sex, thinking for myself, world peace, justice etc. etc.
    Not true. I would ask if you have proof, but I'm guessing you don't, you rely on un-proven faith regardless.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm rather tired of the "religion is for non-thinkers" mantra.

Plus, most Chrisitian denominations don't proscribe all drinking, just excessive.

4. mpw Guest

Not aimed at you, but I'm rather tied of the "your way of life is wrong because it says so in the Bible/Koran/Runes/etc." mantra.

5. TRUTH thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry to say that but you don't want to hear me......
    It's up to you......
    I have many proofs mpw
    my proof is the Koran
    I read it in Koran then I read the researches and I recognized things I didn't even know :confused:
    The Holy book shows you what to do and what not to do
    any way
    I thank God for being muslim
    Goodbye:)

private counterfit
    do you think that christianity is the true religion ????? It's God's sayings + people sayingys :)

6. mpw Guest

Lying or mistaken.
    Surprise, sur-f**king-prise :rolleyes: and where's your proof of the Koran's legitimacy? Don't answer 'cause you haven't got one worth sh*t.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about the lying, as if you're gullible enough to believe in the Koran regardless of logic or proof etc. you're probably just mistaken and or misguided.

Whatever, I will NOT be drawn into more religious crap in this thread.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I don't see why people cannot/are not allowed to follow the logic of religious books without being curtailed by non-religious forum members. If you don't believe the religion look at the book as a story, kinda like an alcoholics anonymous book providing guidelines for your life.

Personally I'm Christian and believe in the bible (in the context that it was of course written many years ago when life was simple) and this helps me. It's not my crutch, it's not my weakness It's how I live and if anyone has a problem so be it, it's your own prejudice don't get angry or begin hating just because you don't want to part of a religious 'sect' or group or whatever you want to think about.

But please, any atheists, just answer me this one question please: How was the first particle of anything ever created. Did it just appear? What would happen if there was nothing in our universe, if there was no universe, just nothing. It wouldn't even be a void. Basicallay this shows that something must've been there for eternity to set things in motion.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How about this answer?- we don't know. We don't claim to know, and we aren't telling everyone else we know. We just don't know. And that's OK.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

My religion is against the drinking of alcohol as well, although that is not the only reason I don't drink. There are too many other reasons to keep me from wanting to. My wife used to be a nurse on a Rehabilitation floor and has many stories of people who ended up there after a "fun" night of drinking. While most of the time it may appear harmless, the risk of doing something to endanger your own life or the people around you is greatly increased after drinking.

I respect what other people choose to do, so long as it doesn't hurt the people around them

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

After his party-trick, Jesus poured the wine at the feast, I believe. Alcohol, if used properly, is one of life's greatest pleasures. What kind of god would withold that from their own creation?

11. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I think the idea of a Big Crunch pretty much explains a lot. Time is circular, with a universe that expands, contracts, expands, contracts, over and over again. Pretty cool if it means I get to live again in a few billion years time :)

Also there isn't really an eternity, since time only exists for the life of the universe which is finite.

The trouble with the idea that there was something to start the universe is you have to ask yourself what came before the something. Who designed the designer as it were? And who designed them? Etc....

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd be more inclined to buy this religious dogma if my prayers to end these types of threads were ever heard.

EDIT: I think this may answer the question.

13. mpw Guest

Great attitude and one I try to live by too, so what religion are you? It sounds like a good one, except for the ban on booze that is.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh-oh. Who's p***ed in your corn flakes this morning? ;)

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Amen to that.

I'm sick of a minority of abusers spoiling the pleasure for the majority of enjoyers.

Sure if you abuse it alcohol can bite you in the ass, so can anything if you abuse it, but why should I stop drinking because some idiots got pissed and stabbed each other?

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No one, I had them with beer. :p

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Is that you Mord?

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If Christianity was so incompatible with alcohol, someone please tell the Trappist monks; bless their little beer-making socks. :)

19. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The problem is, of course, I'm part of the "younger" generation of my faith. I'm pretty sure older members of my church would not agree with my rational. They also don't believe in eating meat, which I don't adhere to (EDIT: I should point out this is for health reasons, not because the Bible says so). I don't agree 100% with my religion, but I don't completely agree with any church for that matter.

Anyway, the church I attend regularly is the Seventh Day Adventist Church. It's not a very "well known" religion, and sometimes gets a bad rap, mostly because it used to be very, very strict and generally very conservative. I don't find it to be like that much anymore, at least in most places. The attitude and how accepting they are of different people can differ greatly from church to church.

20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Or this, which I posted in another thread...serious abusers, why should I not drink a glass of wine though?

Foxnews headline: "Man panics, chops up friend"

Link

MR thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=333798

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Is it just me or is Truth a lot like some other person who use to post on the forums quite often with things like this. Just that one I believe said Christianity was the way to go.

As for Christianity it says do not drink to excess (other wise known as getting drunk)

edit: Found the name Truth post seem a lot like GodBless post.

22. bartelby macrumors Core

Damn right!!

*raises glass to the good Monks*:)

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why is this thread directed at mpw anyway?

The one thing I'll say is that more and more research supports the idea of genetic and epigenetic vulnerability to chemical and behavioral dependency / addiction across substances or behaviors. People who are at risk need to be very careful. The model of restraint doesn't work for everyone, because of level of susceptibility to addiction. It works for a lot of us, but not for everyone.

24. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I agree. The bible just warns us of being drunken. A lot of Christians do avoid alcohol because of the appearances drinking can create and the influence it can have on other Christians (weaker brother). Many do not want their actions to provide an excuse for others to become intoxicated.

(It is really not any of my business, but I thought you had to have 100 posts to post in the Politics, Religion, and Social Issues Forum)

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Because it was split from a thread that was getting all heavy... maaan.