Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I have reason to believe one of my hard drives is messed up. It's not clicking, but it's having problems transferring large files.

It's currently in an ATA -> FW800 enclosure, could that have anything to do with it?

Regardless, I need to stick this in a G4 and check out these things to make sure they're OK.

Disk Utility shows nothing wrong, now I need to find something that will give me some real information (sorry Apple, your first aid never was that good).

I need something that will get down and dirty--get to the farthest depths of this damn hard drive to see if there's anything going on.

It's a western digital 250GB Caviar drive, by the way.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Restart your computer and hold command-s to boot into single user mode.
When you get to the unix prompt, type "fsck -f"
Let it run. If any errors are found, run it again.
Keep running it over and over until no errors are found.
Finish booting up by typing "exit", or restart with "reboot".

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
I personally love DiskWarrior,
I would stay away from Norton. Norton has messed things up made on macs before. Its a pile of poo. I found disk warrior was able to fix drives that norton refused to even recognise. If you don't want to spend any money then i'm affraid your choices are limited. And i wouldn't dare try any freeware how good is it if its free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.