Driver shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ hits crowds of pedestrians in France

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Dec 21, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. Mildredop macrumors 68020

4. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure the Gendarmerie have the situation well under control.

----------

Did you hear about those Christians and Catholics [sic] who just butchered those innocent people and raped those little Iraqi girls?

Me neither.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay. But what do you think should be done?

6. Gym Hellwig macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Holy crap...I'm post number seven, and the phrase "Guess it's time to ban cars" hasn't been muttered by some asshat yet! I'm proud of you PRSI...I may just shed a tear.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I wonder if the emergency automatic braking found in some of 2014 - 2015 cars would have prevented this?

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Car is just a tool. Ban religion:p

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Ever hear of The Inquisition? Christianity can't claim to have been such a peaceful religion throughout history.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Australopithecus liked to hit each other over the head with big clubs, too.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's better than Iraq in the wild west days, when an Allah hu Akbar was followed by a big boom followed by a flaming 500lbs semi engine block coming at you at supersonic speed.

French could consider themselves lucky.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Side note:

The inquisition could rule a death penalty but in the majority of cases they didn't (<2% according to statistics). The far most common penalty was having to wear repentance clothes with crosses sewn on or financial fines.

The death penalties they ruled in trials were always to be carried out by "worldly" authorities.

The worldly authorities weren't bound to follow the ruling. Often death penalties were carried out by lynch-mobs even when found innocent by the inquisition. (The majority of all witch trials were conducted in worldly courts _not_ by the inquistion)

Also inquistion numbers really depend on the person conducting the trils
    Infamous inquistor Bernardo Gui for example had thousands of trials in 15 years:
    900 times the defendant was found guilty.. out of those 900 only 300 were imprisoned and 42 were sentenced with the death penalty.
    Over 15 years that means around 3 death penalties per year

Dominician inquistor Petrus Seila ? 600 found guilty, mostly repentance clothes & public service for helping the poor. Heaviest fine: mandatory pilgrimage to constatinople. 0 Death penalties & 0 prison sentences

From the known trials of the (worst of them ) spanish inquisition(1540-1700):
    45000 trials
    825 death penalties = 1.8%
    ( +775 death penalties "in effigie": the defendant wasn't captured and thus trialed in absence. To fullfill the church law a puppet or picture of the guilty was burnt !)

825 death penalties in 160 years ... even if half the trial documents were lost and there were 1600 death penalties it would mean around 5-10 death penalties per year.
    In the badly documented years prior to 1500ad i suspect it to be worse than 1.8% but what wasn't worse back then)

Just to put this into perspective: there are currently more than 3000 people in US prisons on death row
    Since 1976 nearly 1400 people have been executed in the US. Or around 36 per year.

The US justice system is thus killing people faster than the spanish inquistion ;)

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I notice you mention how many on death row not how many executed. Maybe you should relook at that considering very few sentenced to death are actually executed.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Crazy people do *****. They guy involved had known mental issues.

Not giving him a pass, but would be wary of associating it with Terrorism.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Plus people on death row aren't there because they believe In a different God.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the number of death penalty verdicts are comparable ... just because the appeal process today is different today doesn't influence the actually amount of verdicts. (Ironically at the time the inquistion trials were a huge modernisation and improvement over other courts)

i also mention the actually executed US numbers since 1976:

US, 38 years, 1400 executed, 3000 not yet executed
    Spanish Inquistion: 160 years, 800 death penalties (i presume the majority executed), 800 death-penalties not executed

and for people not executed for their believes: How many practiciers who follow pre-abrahamic or central american religions with human sacrifices would be killed by the death penalty ? i would bet a lot ;)

i'm not even catholic anymore but that the protestant point of view/denouncing of the inquisition continues to this day after hundred of years is staggering.
    After all where are the "we are sorry" anouncements about burning witches _without any trials whatsoever_ from the protestant leaders ? nope
    Considering evidence and proofs actual regulated trials ? not from the protestants
    Following orders from the Pope who forbade trials into "sorcery" unless hercesy was involved ? that sure wasn't the protestant way either

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, but I do hear about the ones that shoot abortion clinic doctors in their church, that shoot up jewish community centers, etc.

In fact, right wing christian terrorists have killed more people in this country since 9/11 than any other type.

But you know...why would we care about that when there are people who look different and have a different religion we can demonize?

:rolleyes:

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Links please

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Make that a double for me. I've heard about maybe one or two abortion clinic bombings and a couple of shootings over the last couple of decades. While even one is more than there should be, I very seriously doubt extremist Christian terrorism has claimed the lives of 2000+ people in the US.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/charts-domestic-terrorism-jihadist-boston-tsarnaev

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/09/mapping_muslims_makes_community_less_safe_partner/

FBI source if you feel like looking at the raw numbers: http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005/terror02_05#terror_05sum

Note that these are 2002-2005.

Graph representation made from the FBI statistics:

[​IMG]

It would be nice for the country to realize that terrorism is not the existential threat to the nation that we make it out to be. Other than high profile incidents here in the USA, it's very rare.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your graph saye

extreme LEFT wing groups

the Boston clowns were IMPORTED "refugees"

What actual deaths have the R-Wing clowns incurred?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh. I think you should actually read each of the links....and look at the graph in context with the explanations that go along with them.

I feel like I shouldn't have posted the image...because apparently people don't READ THE DAMN LINKS that explain them.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well, you should know better than that. ;)

25. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

ok, i have read the links.
    could you please explain me the graph now that i have read the recommended link and couldn't find any explanation for it.
    i am particularly curious to see how EXTREME LEFT WING terrorists caused 24% of terrorist casualties and LATINO terrorists 42% since 9/11, as you suggest.

and the heck are these extreme left wing, hyper-active, murderous terrorists, cause i haven't heard slick about them.

while i agree that right-wing terrorism is a serious issue (although not in the same ballpark as islamic fundamentalist terrorism), you are not helping by posting misleading or plainly wrong statements