Drone Registration Coming?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 5684697, Oct 19, 2015.

1. 5684697 Suspended

Avweb.com

DOT To Announce Mandatory Drone Registration: Reports
    By Russ Niles

[​IMG]

The U.S. Department of Transportation will soon require registration of all drones, including hobby models, according to various reports. The ruling is expected to come down Oct. 19 and will cover every type of unmanned aerial system. The DOT issued advance notice to major media outlets by saying it will "make an important safety announcement about the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems" according to Forbes but it didn't provide any insight into how such a scheme is going to work. It's also not clear if it will be retroactive to the millions of drones already buzzing around. And, of course, the logistical issues are raising some questions, especially since the FAA recently predicted that more than a million hobby drones would become Christmas gifts this year.

The daily news coverage of bad drone behavior, from alleged close encounters with aircraft to disrupting firefighting to peering in windows, is undoubtedly behind the move. Another thing that's not clear is how this action works with the comprehensive set of rules already being formulated by the FAA.

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I hate to think what could happen if a passenger plane ingested a drone into an engine. Probably nothing good. Not all pilots are as good as Sully.

3. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

How does registering RC aircraft stop idiots from being idiots?

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They'll have to receive training for one. That's always a good thing. Plus, they'll likely have to register their drone with the FCC, and receive their tail numbers before they're allowed to fly. Having that at least will make it easier to track down the idiots when they're acting like idiots.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

Training? How about just requiring a pilot's license and 3rd class medical exam? Biennial flight reviews, oral and written examinations. I didn't see anything about training, but that would beat registration. Guess they'll have to out a huge N-number on then aircraft to facilitate tracking.

Hey, that's an idea, make drone operators data link their gps position in real time to the FedGov.

Bet all of the responsible RC flyers are loving this. Having to register their tiny helicopters that they hover for ten minutes a week in their gardens.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Welcome to America, where we make you register your little remote control toy with a gopro on it, but we don't make you register your deadly weapons. FREEDOM!

Requiring a "pilot's license" to operate a little half-automated RC helicopter is like requiring a CDL + Hazmat certification to operate a self-propelled push lawnmower.

8. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

FAA is considering just that for commercial operators. Do you have any doubt that these devices will eventually be used to run a bomb into a high value target?

Flying is a privilege. Always has been. You have no rights and are at the whim of government oversight. If you make your living that way, you are subjected to administrative, not criminal law. Big difference between that and constitutional rights.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I have no problem with a basic safety and operations course or a RC drone license, but requiring an actual pilot's license is just flat out stupid. Learning to fly a Cessna and learning to fly a DJI Phantom are two completely different things.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

don't like drones? don't buy them.......................

so, what task force will be in place to check in the drones? & their operators, assuming they can find whomever is flying the drone anyways.

drone registration leads to confiscation :p

11. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Government found something popular that everyone was interested in buying and their eyes turned green. We could make buyers or owners who buy or own one to have to register and get a permit to operate one lol.. Instant money in their pockets. Permits and registration fees is where America excels lol..

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

money money money money
    [​IMG]

13. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Try opening up a business in California and you will find that probably a huge amount of your income goes towards permits and fees for your business. What is left after expenses goes to Uncle Sam. America has a system set up to require you to pay for everything that you wish to use whether you make money off it or not it will cost you to operate or use.

14. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

Tell the FAA. They are claiming that they "own" everything that flys.

It is getting bad. Over 650 conflicts with aircraft this year, far beyond the totals last year, and FAA thinks a million drones will be sold this Christmas.

15. zin macrumors 6502

If I attach a gun to my drone, does it become an "arm" and thus constitutionally protected from these draconian, totalitarian regulations that will inevitably lead to tyranny?

16. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

Oh they probably see it as an opportunity for funding and expansion of the bureaucracy.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

give it a try & find out.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Hyperbole aside, that was not a joke. I legitimately think it could be contested in court if somebody was mad enough to glue their handgun to their hobby drone and sincerely believed it became an "arm".

You should get on the phone to the NRA, jkcerda. That's an interesting lawsuit I would follow.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

send me a drone and I will call them :D

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Buy your own damn drone, moocher! :mad:

21. 5684697 thread starter Suspended

You'd just have two or three agencies after your arse. The idea that guns are regulated is silly, moreover, the use of guns is heavily regulated by thousands of laws.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if he wants ME to test the law, then HE should send me the drone :D

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

For this to work to the benefit of all, each drone should be required to hang a one-pound license on it, visible from at least fifty yards. Gov will be able to tell who the idiot is and fine them accordingly.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it is more about idiots abusing drones by flying them where they shouldn't that has forced everyone to register them so the idiots can be tracked down more easily.