Drop apple tv to $69 but price gouge us on the watches

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cymolia, Mar 10, 2015.

1. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Nice $30 drop apple, but thanks for raping us on the watches. Genius

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Rape is innovatory. Buying an electronic device is not.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

So true, but its going to be 3 years before the watch is a useable device... ;)

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Isn't rape a strong word for something you aren't forced to buy?

7. JOHNGAETANO macrumors 6502

JOHNGAETANO

your not being forced to buy a watch.

8. technosix macrumors 6502a

There's a plethora of ways Watch prices can be argued, either Pro or Con. At the end of the day price is relatively meaningless.

Apple doesn't _need_ to sell a certain number of watches. They have so much money at this point Apple is nearly untouchable. With high volume success Apple will brag and gush.

Conversely if it only sells a limited amount Apple will apply it's best spin and sell people a different story. It no longer matters when you're as big and well liked as Apple.

9. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Really? Uncalled for..

10. psylence2k macrumors 6502

Apple TV's original price was like what $300 ? It hasn't been updated in years and the components are getting cheaper and cheaper to make so it makes sense they dropped the price. So logically that's why it got cheaper.

They probably dont even make that much off the Apple TV anyway and why not drop the price to sell more and add to the popularity and the exposure of the device and use it as trojan horse (like the Ipod was for the Iphone and Iphone was to the Ipad and how all three were for the Mac) to sell more Apple products for the use of Airplay and to sell more Itunes content. Business wise that's why it makes sense.

11. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

Comparing a product that you don't have to buy to rape is not only highly offensive and uncalled for, but it's really ridiculous.

I think you can choose better words to describe what you're feeling.

12. mackinmike macrumors 6502

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Price gouging only relates to necessities, mostly in times of need. It makes no sense to use it with the Apple Watch.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine when people use gouging in this way.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you like something cheap.. looks the other way. Problem solved, no?

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I was criticizing the OP for using the offensive term.

16. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

But it does its a public company and much of its financial power is in its market cap and the CEO who led that company to that golden pot is deceased and there are doubts about whether the current CEO can successfully bring a all new product category to market. Then sales and revenues #s for that 1st new high profile all new product category product matter. They don't have to eye-popping, but they must be respectable. There is no spinning poor sales with this level of publicity.

Personally, I think the $349 starting price is fair and reasonable. I also really doubt anyone at Apple or on Wall St. thinks a whole lot of $17K watches will be sold, or even $10K, or even $1K. The goal post is planted around $650. It is amusing though to see some people here get all up in arms about it.

17. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Typical entitlement mentality.
    Get over it.

18. DoctorFedora macrumors regular

I'll prepare the fainting couch for you while the grown-ups over here take the asking price into account when deciding whether or not to buy a luxury item, instead of just demanding it be cheaper because we want it to be.

You want a cheap watch? Go to Dollar General or the drug store.

19. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Let me tell you, at $69 Apple are still gouging you on the Apple TV. That box is laughably bad compared to other options. It is 3 years old and extremely limited.

20. docprego macrumors 65816

I've got an Apple TV and a Roku 3, I'd hardly say the Apple TV is laughably bad, in fact I prefer it. As far as limited I only wish it supported one feature that it does not: Amazon VOD. That's the only reason I keep the Roku 3 around.

21. troop231 macrumors 603

I really like the Roku 3's headphone out jack for some reason :eek:

22. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Did you know you can AirPlay from the Amazon app on your phone or iPad to Apple TV? It's kind of a pointless restriction if you ask me, but it works quite well.

23. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I have both as well. In addition to the much larger channel store, Roku 3 loads channels significantly faster, and has cool features like the headphone jack in the remote. Laughable is harsh, I agree, but it certainly lags behind the Roku in every way. So much to the point that I never turn on the Apple TV anymore. In fact, even people like Andy Ihnatko of MacBreak Weekly say the same thing, the Apple TV just collects dust while the Roku gets all the use.

24. czecho7 macrumors member

czecho7

I apologize, must have misread it.

25. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No problem and I see that you called out the OP.