Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox yesterday officially launched its collaborative editing software called Paper, following six months of public beta testing.

Similar to Google Docs, the service offers Dropbox account holders a minimalist document editor and conversational tools for collaborative projects. Paper lets users review and revise work in a single, shared space which includes an image gallery feature, advanced search across files and comments, and a notifications system that works across both the iOS app and the web version of the service.

dropbox_paper_header_1.0-800x533.jpg

Users can see and add Dropbox files in a Paper document, while any changes made are synced automatically and team members are notified of the new version and the author of the changes.

Dropbox says the web version of Paper supports 21 languages, with similar support for the mobile apps in the pipeline. Mobile support for offline workspaces is also coming soon.

In addition to the launch of Paper, the company announced a new Dropbox Business account feature called Smart Sync, which allows users with low disk space to see cloud-stored files and folders on their desktop.

smart-sync-right-click-800x468.jpg

Users working with just 128 GB of hard drive space can easily comb through terabytes of files to find exactly what they need-- right from Windows File Explorer or macOS Finder. Now, they won't need to take extra steps--like switching to a web browser-- just to view files. And whenever they need to access files stored in the cloud, users can download them with a quick double click.
Finally, Dropbox has announced new price plans for business customers. Its Standard plan costs $12.50 per month per user and offers 2TB of storage and collaborative tools, while the $20 Advanced plan includes additional administration features. A third plan is also available for larger businesses.

Paper is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox Launches Collaborative Office Suite 'Paper', Plus 'Smart Sync' for Business Users

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
In the real world where meetings don't consist of drinking Starbucks and smiling whilst sketching on white tables, business users (or Pro users) aren't going to be too fussed about using Paper as their go-to word processing platform.

Also surprising to see that Pro users won't be using Smart Sync - I'm assuming that this is just a matter of the service being vetted by the business users before being released to the masses.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I know some folk here give Dropbox a hard time, but for me it has been rock solid and a joy since day dot.
Let me be first in line to be that guy - their iOS photo uploader has been the absolute opposite of rock solid for me, more like wobbly jelly. All the time it wouldn't work it managed to do so by making the phone go red hot (no doubt maxxing the CPU out) and slaughtering the battery as a result. I tried resets, re-installs and their support was laughable.

I lost all faith and trust in their service as a result and moved to another provider which whilst not brilliant, at least works and can do the fundamentals...

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I know some folk here give Dropbox a hard time, but for me it has been rock solid and a joy since day dot.

Can't fault their service; still my go-to cloud service.

Same here, despite some annoyances. A lot of it doesn't work the way I work, but it's easy to use.
Helps to read up on things btw.

Customer service has been very attentive as far as subscriptions go.
Don't know if other things are treated the same to be fair.

The iOS dropbox app needs some serious work.

For example:
They have a "feature" called "recently viewed" with a default which cannot be toggled off
or adjusted in any way. Users have been complaining for 2 years about this and
all we got so far was some moderator comment that they will look into it.

Between iCloud and dropbox they win hands down.

Reactions: Santabean2000

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Just so I'm clear on what's offered here...

Has Dropbox launched a webbased word processor, plus an iOS client? But not a macOS client?

It seems a bit strange. Is this everything? Online word processors don't seem to me to be very innovative. I'd be much more impressed with a native macOS client.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Let me be first in line to be that guy - their iOS photo uploader has been the absolute opposite of rock solid for me, more like wobbly jelly. All the time it wouldn't work it managed to do so by making the phone go red hot (no doubt maxxing the CPU out) and slaughtering the battery as a result. I tried resets, re-installs and their support was laughable.

I lost all faith and trust in their service as a result and moved to another provider which whilst not brilliant, at least works and can do the fundamentals...
Guess your use was different to mine; don't use their photo uploader.

To be clear, Dropbox is certainly no longer my exclusive cloud service!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Guess your use was different to mine; don't use their photo uploader.

To be clear, Dropbox is certainly no longer my exclusive cloud service!

What do you use instead, which is as easy to use as dropbox?

Anything but iCloud please.
Wouldn't mind having a second back up option, as I no longer run DVDs with old info.

Mostly tax returns and business info.

I am pretty bad with music and photo back ups. If I lose them I lose them.
Would save some, if price was right.
Simplifying life:)

Thank you

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Simplifying life

Can attest to simplifying life. I've actually stopped using cloud services. I'm expressly limiting myself to one machine, my MacBook Pro.

As for photos, are you sure you could stand losing them? A TimeMachine backup is really simple.

Hallvalla

Suspended
Nov 13, 2006
My work has been using Paper since beta and it's great. Love it. Not perfect but think of it like congregating all of your email threads in one place and instant updating.

We use it to launch design projects with all the assets in one place to view, update, brainstorm, comment etc

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
What do you use instead, which is as easy to use as dropbox?

Anything but iCloud please.
Wouldn't mind having a second back up option, as I no longer run DVDs with old info.

Mostly tax returns and business info.

Simplifying life:)

Thank you
I use iCloud Photo Stream to get them onto my mini, then I use Google Photos to upload them off site.

I also run a Synology NAS and use TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I use iCloud Photo Stream to get them onto my mini, then I use Google Photos to upload them off site.

I also run a Synology NAS and use TimeMachine and Carbon Copy Cloner

Thank you. I'll give google a try.

Don't really have any secrets:) As long as the files are stored I am good.

As it goes with all files, they reflect the past and I cannot change that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.