DropBox, who uses it? How do u like? Give me the pros/cons.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Apr 15, 2012.

1. PacificBeach macrumors regular

DropBox, who uses it? How do u like? Give me the pros/cons.

2. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Pros and cons compared to what? It's like asking for the pros and cons of a glass of water.

Dropbox is what it is. Taken in isolation everything it does is a pro and there are no cons.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Compared to other similar products? Drop box is not the only cloud file storage product.

4. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

Geez, lets put a little thought into this, instead of the smart aleck responses. :p

To dumb it down.

Why do u use it ? Why do you like it? What made you download? What don't you like about?

5. SandboxGeneral, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I use Dropbox and like it quite well. It's a lot better than Apples iDisk that I used prior.

Much easier to use and cross-platform integration. Meaning, it integrates with OS X, Windows and iOS.

It is what it is, and I can't think of any cons. It's a basic service and it takes care of my needs.

6. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I put current versions of record-keeping files into a folder on my computer and into the dropbox folder. I also put any file I need to read (PDF, academic article, material for a conference e call) into DropBox since every app I use on my iPad or iPhone can access DropBox. For general cloud storage of practically every file on my computer, I use SugarSync which syncs within minutes every file as it's changed on any computer or my iPad. So DropBox makes accessing current files easy from any app - SugarSync is my preferred storage syncing solution for my computer HD (everything except iTunes music, apps, videos, books, audiobooks because those are stored on the Apple Servers or Audible servers and I can access them whenever).

7. Bingbonghoho macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I don't trust their code! Period!!

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My entire company uses Dropbox as it works with all platforms. We depend on it.:)

What I do not like about Dropbox is not Dropbox's fault, it is Apple's fault. I need the files synced to my iPad and iPhone just like my Windows Desktop but Apple will not allow it.:mad:

One of the things I dislike about Apple. Maybe one day they will let use set up folders and put files in them.:rolleyes:

9. coolhands macrumors regular

I love it. I use it the most from this website, download wallpapers right to Dropbox then head over to my iPhone and download them onto there. I use it basically everyday for various different things.

10. James Craner, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012

James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have been using Dropbox for 3 years now, and it is one of my essential apps to sync files between my 2 Macs and iOS devices. I have never had any issues with it, 110% reliable. It is what MobileMe / iCloud should have been, and probably would have been if the developers had not refused Apple's offer to buy the company.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Works great, integrates seamlessly into most any OS. A+

12. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I love Dropbox, I use it almost daily. So easy to transfer files from anywhere to anywhere. It has come in handy countless times.

13. Daremo, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012

Daremo macrumors 68020

Daremo

I see what you did there. :D

And yes, DROPBOX is one of the best around for cloud storage.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I like it and use it. It is free, try it for yourself and make your own decision.

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Bingo.

Try it! You have nothing to lose. If you like it enough to fill it up, consider paying for it.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Dropbox is a great alternative to... iPhoto.

Hate iPhoto.

17. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I use it for all different types of things, music, photos and files. Works great and nice to be able to acess my documents anywhere.

18. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

WHY hate iPhoto?

19. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Having the cloud is useful for some of my documents since I don't have to carry a USB stick with them.

Also, it once helped me in a pinch because I forgot to bring my resume to a job interview. Luckily I had a copy in my dropbox so I popped it open on my iPad and showed it that way instead.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: While many of us use and love DropBox, posting referral links is not allowed by the forum rules.

B

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

22. citivolus macrumors 6502a

That was classic!

I too use Dropbox and think it's a great service. Cloud storage done right. Are there things they could do better? Sure, but no one else is close.

23. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

The free account is great, the upgrades are a bit pricey for the amount of storage you get.

24. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Not sure if there's even anything I could complain about. I guess it depends on how you use it. My professor set up a folder to send my classmates and I readings, overview sheets, etc. That's pretty useful and I find it easy to use.

For myself, I put all my homework, research articles, etc. in Dropbox. That's about it. I'm happy with it. I can access that stuff whenever I'm on a school computer. If I have something a classmate may need, I can just forward it to them from my iPhone. I like how it works across Windows/OS X/iOS/Android as well.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I enjoy & rely on Dropbox daily.

In addition, I also enjoy water.

I drink five liters per day.

All pros, no cons :)