Dropped 4S in Water, now it won't stay off!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djstile, Mar 31, 2012.

1. djstile macrumors regular

So I accidentally dropped my iP4S in a sink full of clean water before and snatched it out about a second after it fell. I ran to the store to grab some rice and a zip-lock bag which I filled with the rice to put the phone in. Right after I dropped the phone, I turned it off and it stayed off. After I put it in the rice, I noticed a light in the bag and that the phone was on again. I turned it off and instantly it just turns itself back on. When on, the screen also sort of just barely visibly flickers real quick.

So now the phone is in the bag of rice and on. Fortunately, I do have AppleCare+ but I would obviously like to avoid spending $50 on a new phone and getting a phone with 5.0.1 that I cannot jailbreak. Can anyone with more knowledge of electronics advise me on whether the phone is toast and I should just cut my loses and go to the genius bar? If I'm going to do that, I'd like to restore the phone to factory settings before the battery dies so Apple will not know it is jailbroken and try to deny a warranty replacement.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the phone is not toast now, it will be soon. The water will cause corrosion and since you are already having problems, they will just get worse.

Just pay to get it replaced.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, it will never be the same.
    Water is not good for the iPhone.

4. djstile thread starter macrumors regular

Yea you guys are right. I decided to restore it to factory settings just in case I needed to bring it in and right after that finished the screen turned off and would not turn on again. I have a genius bar appointment tomorrow to get it replaced so at least I had the foresight to buy the AppleCare+ when I got the phone.

5. djstile thread starter macrumors regular

Went in to the Apple store today to get a replacement phone. Genius there said there was actually still water inside the phone and everything was corroded or corroding. Paid my $49 and got a new phone but on the plus side, it was still on 5.0.1!! So now I can re-jailbreak.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nice. The kid's iPod (in a case) went through the washer and dryer. There was water "in" the screen but had dried out by the next day. It's "fine" know but I know the clock is ticking towards it's demise...

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

...or any electronic