Dropped Coffee on my Unibody, Keyboard is broken, trackpad is sticky

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by attanasi0, Jan 7, 2011.

1. attanasi0 macrumors newbie

I had a bit of an accident and dropped some coffee on my Macbook Pro 13" Unibody. It's been about a week, I didn't touch anything because I wanted it to dry but it seems something went wrong and the keyboard just won't work anymore.
    The backlight still works (yeah! :( ) and the trackpad still works too, although it has gotten a bit sticky (like the keyboard).
    I didn't have AppleCare for this computer, and am still in my first year of warranty.
    Is there any chance that I could work out a deal with Apple about buying AppleCare and them fixing this ? Considering AppleCare would be 219.99 since I am a full-time student, this would be a way better deal for me then having to pay for the Uppercase (which, as it seems, is the only way to fix my keyboard) which starts at around 280$, plus labour (which I would do myself).
    Anyone had a similar experience and felt the love of Apple ?
    Give me hope lol

Otherwise, does anyone know a good website for refurbished parts for Macbook Pro (in my case, the Upper case with keyboard and trackpad) ?

Thank you very much

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Take it to Apple and get an estimate on the repair, but your SOL in terms of warranty, even if you had Applecare on it they would not honor it for this type of 'accident'.

3. HBOC macrumors 68020

as stated, i am pretty sure that nothing is under warranty. That is why when I am drinking coffee and such near my computer, it is on the table next to me, so when accidents do happen, the coffee cannot reach my computer.

That said, there is possibly more to the damage than just the keyboard. It could be the logicboard. You may be better off buying parts from eBay and trying to fix it yourself. Apple catches wind that there was liquid damage...

at this point, there is no point in buying AppleCare.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

Sorry to hear about your computer. I also sorry to say Apple will not help you under any warranty or Applecare. You may want to try a 3rd party like Microreplay.com