Dropped i4 in bathtub... get a new 4s or replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Uabcar, May 26, 2012.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

so with just a few months until the new iPhone comes out- I've managed to submerge my phone in water. Seems fried- only powers up when connected to the wall charger.

So the question is - should I spend $199 to get a refurb from the Apple store - or use my avail upgrade and get a 4S? Note that unless the i5 is a total let down (which I don't expect), I'll be upgrading at launch. Of course if I use my upgrade now I'll be on the hook for the unsub cost of the new phone when it comes out >$599.

What would you all do?

2. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

Easy I would spend the 199 and use upgrade on New Iphone when it comes out....You can sell the other phone for more than 199 when the time comes...

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I would not use my iPhone in the bathtub.

But to answer your question, if it were me, I would try to get through the summer by using a cheap phone until the iPhone 5 comes out. I don't know if I'd be able to last until then, so I'd probably steal my wife's 4S. :D

I'd probably end up caving and getting the $199 replacement though. I wouldn't use my upgrade for a device I'd use for <6 months. I could always sell the replacement for more than $199 anyway.

4. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. pretty much what I was thinking. Looks like the delta between a 16g 4 and 4s is slightly over $100 (per Gazelle.com). I expect this gap will remain pretty much the same - but will step down when the i5 launches.

I guess the simple math is:

$199refurb - $150 est sale price + 199 for upgrade + $36 att upgrade fee = net cost of $284

vs

$199 upgrade + $36 att fee - $275 (being generous) + $599 est full cost + $36 att fee = net cost of $595

So it really just boils down to whether or not its worth $300 to use for a 4S for 3-5 months... pretty easy decision when I look at it this way.

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Keep in mind an iPhone 4 refurb from the Apple Store is only $149.99, not $199.99 (that's for the 4S.)

Don't upgrade, wait until the next iPhone so that if you plan on staying with your company anyways, you can take advantage of the subsidized pricing. :D

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pay the $150 to get a replacement and wait for the next iphone to use your upgrade on.
    Then sell the i4 when you get the next iphone.

7. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

What he said

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If you want learn the meaning of regret in 4 months, get the iPhone 4S now.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Next time get the LifeProof case.

I don't use it much, but is fine for if you go for a swim with your iPhone.