Dropped In Water

cp33c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Hi,

I've got an iphone 3gs that I'm trying to repair for a friend who accidentally dropped it in some water

Before handing it over to me it wasn't working at all, it wouldn't charge, wouldn't turn on, nothing. I took it apart cleaned all the contacts and got it up and running mostly. Its now suffering from a White Screen and the Power button doesn't work. When I plug the phone into itunes it starts to charge and itunes recognises it. Also when there is a white screen I can unlock the phone and lock the phone no problem. If I hold the home button down long enough it tries to accept a voice dialling command.

The thing is I replaced the flex cable for the power button, headphone jack, etc which worked the first time - I pressed it and got a white screen. After that first time its now gone back to how it was - I press it and nothing happens.

Is it possible that the power button is shorting out? Is there a remedy for this? I don't want to spend more to replace the LCD if the power button keeps shorting......

Is there another fix for a white screen on the LCD, apart from replacing it?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Much depends on if the owner tried to use the phone AFTER he dropped it in the water. If it still was powered up while wet there could be damages to the circuit board and unrepairable

cp33c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Ok, from what he has said is that the phone wouldn't turn on, however he hasn't said whether he tried this after the soaking or after he dried it out.

It now switches on after the contacts were cleaned and thoroughly dried, but only if you plug it in to charge

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Display + Battery Replacement should help. For how long, I'm not sure. Sounds like your friend's logic board is corroding slowly, which is basically the entire phone.