Dropped ip4 in sink full of water :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SDAVE, Mar 10, 2011.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So completely my idiotic fault, I'm on crutches right now and it slipped out of my hand and into a sink with full of water (no soap). :(

So immediately I wanted to turn it off and put it in a bag full rice. So I was able to turn it off after drying it and blowing the water out of the port and headphone jack. But then it turned on by itself and the screen started to flicker and turned off. Now the sides are getting really hot, even though I put it in the bag. I dare not to turn it on.

Anything else I should do?

2. Annerz macrumors regular

I would just leave it alone for now. Aw that sucks I'm sorry!!

3. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Your best bet is to dunk it in a bowl of distilled water, then put it in a bag of rice to dry out. Hopefully that works. If it doesn't, you can get a refurb from apple reasonably cheaply to replace it (and potentially make a homeowners insurance claim for part of the cost).

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Thanks guys.

It's still super hot, should I put it in non tap water?

Actually it's getting much hotter in the rice bag.

5. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Leave it in the rice bag and put some silica packets in there from shoe boxes, they also help soak up moisture.

don't turn on your phone, leave it off for a week... everytime you turn it on your doing damage!

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I would at least take the back off (only two screws). Put it in front of a fan. It will dry out much faster this way. Maybe even unplug the battery. :(

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think we’re done with water.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Don't have any screwdrivers that size :(

It's so hot right now I can't even touch it!

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why do you have it on? Turn it off!! Keep it off for a week in that rice bag.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Your battery is going bonkers! Your most likely going to have to replace it.

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

cut your losses and pay Apple 200 bucks for another....it won't ever be the same...or if you can get it to work after about a week of drying I'd reccomend you take it to a RadioShack and sell it towards the purchase of another one...The Shack will buy it and most of their associates only know to look for cracked screens and physical damage when determining the condition...before selling it to them erase all data and settings so only the "connect to iTunes" screen shows

12. COMtnBiker macrumors member

Distilled water is fine to use - they rinse circuit boards in distilled water at the factory. Tap water is no good - it's conductive.

My iP4 went through a load of laundry, so I put it in front of a hairdryer for 2 hours, and it started up. Screen dried out a day later and the only permanent damage is that my front camera doesn't work, and the phone won't shut off unless plugged into power (weird).

good luck.

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I think you should sell it as a parts phone on eBay and gather enough money for the iPhone 5.

Sucks
    :(

14. gameface macrumors 6502

Would it be inappropriate to post the Nelson HA-HA picture here? :p

Just kidding, sorry for your loss.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that power is running threw them in the factory. Also distilled water that has been exposed to the air for a little while becomes conductive because it starts absorbing CO2 from the air and start containing carbonic acid so it contains ions that conducts electricity. Biggest thing about distilled water is it lacks any minerals that can be deposited when the water evaporates.

16. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'll probably do that..I will try taking it apart and seeing if I can dry it quicker.

If I go the radioshack route, won't they extend my 2 year agreement and I won't be able to get an iP5?

I probably shouldn't have blown air into the dock connector area, I was trying to dry it when it was off. :(
    It turned on by itself and the screen started to flicker and then it shut off and started getting really hot.

One other thing I'm worried about is privacy. The phone is JB'd and I have a lot of personal info on the phone (notes, email accounts, passwords, etc). I'm worried that they might have access to it even if Apple takes it and refurbs it.

17. nukem170 macrumors member

Sorry your phone is gone. The reason it's getting really hot is that the battery is short circuited. It will probably damage the circuits inside. Your best bet was to take it apart and remove the battery within the first few minutes when you noticed it was getting hot. Even if you manage to get it to work after all this your phone will slowly fail over few weeks one thing at a time as rust build up inside. Take it back to apple and pay for a replacement or just buy another off ebay or kijiji.

18. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

Ahh, this is the secret to longer battery life. :D

19. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Sorry about your phone but if it was on when it hit the water, no matter how long you leave it off and put it in a bag of rice or water the phone is done.. It most likely shorted right when it hit the water.. Pay the $200 and get another..

Like I said, sorry about the phone but why people bring these devices around liquid in the first place is beyond me..

James

20. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a short if it's getting hot..sounds like it's fried sorry about that..

21. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I usually don't carry it around, but I'm on the crutches (fractured ankle) and got a call I was expecting, put it up so I could answer it, and it slipped :(

I just took everything apart, used air in a can, hair dryer and put it back together. Connected it to my MBP and it won't turn off.

Off to Apple :\

I just hope the person that gets it doesn't look through my stuff. I do have a password on it, thankfully, so hope they just restore it if it's the battery and give it to another person through their refurb program.

22. SDAVE, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Update:

Just ordered an OEM battery, will wait to see if replacing the battery will help me at least boot it off so I can get the data off of it.

I will take it to the Apple store after that.

By the way, would an iPhone start without the battery in there? Just want to know.

23. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

How would the phone start or turn on with no battery in it?

24. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I think he's talking about having it plugged in with no battery.

I don't know the answer.

It could be possible, if you're going to replace the battery yourself just go ahead and try it. Worst case it's going to cost you $200 plus the cost of the battery you bought.

25. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No battery, but with USB connector.

I'll just wait for the new battery, if it doesn't work, I'll just go to the store.