Dropped iPhone 5 - feel very lucky

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrdm, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mrdm, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013

mrdm macrumors regular

I have a launch day iphone 5 and it fell out of my pocket while sitting, falling about 2 feet onto a stone patio about a month after I purchased it. They say the first cut is always the deepest and this was no exception. I was amazed at how much the aluminum black coating was scratched and pitted for such a small fall. Despite the cosmetic issues - no problems with functioning.

Well, flash forward 8 months and I had another drop of violent proportions this time! Getting out of the car and talking on the phone using my earbuds I bobbled the phone and while trying to catch it inadvertently flung it about 5 feet away and over 7 feet in the air :mad: It landed with a loud smack on the ashpalt parking lot. I thought for sure it was a goner.

Much to my surprise it only had a few dings on a couple of corners and one of the glass inserts has a pit where it must have landed on a small pebble.

In any case - everything still works perfectly. I'm very happy with the durability of the iphone and really think apple did a great job with creating a very durable design.

FWIW - I now have a case on order :). While I usually don't drop things I can't seem to hang onto this sleek little phone. I prefer it without a case but don't want to spend another $500 replacing it after the inevitable next fall.

Chose the magpul field case as it seems to strike the perfect balance of protection without adding bulk. I don't work for magpul and am not affiliated in any way, just thought I'd share my choice after a lot of research.

2. simply stunning macrumors regular

Cool story and well said. I don't like cases either but I do drop it from time to time. I think you made a good choice on the case.

3. erichess22 macrumors regular

They did do a great job with the durability of the phone. Just out of curiosity, which color is your iPhone? I have a 5 and every time i hit the aluminum, even a little knick, I seem to get an ugly silver scratch on the side.

4. mrdm thread starter macrumors regular

I have the black iphone and have had the same experience. Over the past 8 months without a case it has developed several scratches, particularly along the chamfered edges. I've come to accept these marks as simply adding character and really don't pay attention to them anymore. I guess now with the case they will be covered up and only become an issue on resale.

5. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

6. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I only use a case when I leave home, then go naked with it at home where I know if it falls or anything it'll only hit carpet and be safe. As long as you have a simple case that can go on and off this should work fine.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I use a bumper case simply to add grip to this slippery sucker !

:D

8. mackandproud macrumors 6502

It's a catch 22: you can only appreciate the phone's esthetics fully if you use it without a case, but using it without a case increases the chances of damaging the phone exponentially.

How much resale value are you losing by using the phone without a case?

9. mrdm thread starter macrumors regular

I went with the magpul field case:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG452/125

It is newly released and the reviews online have been extremely positive.

Hoping mine arrives today.

----------

This really depends on how and who you are selling the phone to.

As just one datapoint right now, gazelle.com will give you $370 for a 32g iphone 5 in flawless shape, $340 for one in good shape with normal signs of use and $150 for one with serious physical damage.

Hmmmm...seems like most cases will pay for themselves and then some :)