Dropped iPhone 5 in toilet.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dcthota, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dcthota macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 5 in the toilet it was in my shorts pocket and as I was getting up it slipped out and went straight into the toilet. I grabbed it very quickly, (there was no excrement). i knew i had ot turn it off so i turned it off fast and i wiped it down and used a compressed air can to get rid of water form the crevices. I put it in a bowl of rice and everything. I am really scared. I was wondering if i took it into the apple store, and said that it was only on the shelf while i was taking a shower. would they be able to replace it?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

3. dcthota thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean if they ask about the water sensors, cant i say it was because of the water condensation while i was taking a shower? i dont want to pay another 200 dollars. But im really distraught right now. :(:(:(

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Just man up and go into Apple Store. Tell them the truth about what happened. You may get lucky and they replace it. At worst you will have to pay the $200 to replace it. I know it sucks, but truth will always get you further.

"The water sensors was because of the water condensation while I was taking a shower" is still water damage no matter how you look at it.

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

why are you already thinking of ways to deceive someone into replacing your device?

and to be honest it's probably fine. wait a day and try it. dunking your phone in water isn't a death sentence. My roommate was a drunken idiot and had his phone in his pocket for 2 hours while he was in the water, and it was on, and after it dried out it worked.

6. Strax macrumors member

It really doesn't matter how you trip the liquid damage sensors. If you don't have the Applecare Plus plan, then you will have to pay the out of warranty replacement fee. It's done and it can’t be undone. Sorry about your bad luck.

7. richard6r macrumors regular

My sister dunked her iPhone accidentally into the toilet as well. It works fine today, she left it in the bowl of rice too. Wait it out. sometimes nothing goes wrong.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is your subconscious telling you, Must Upgrade to 5s!!!

9. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

It's $229 plus tax I believe.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

This is one reason why I always get AppleCare + just for peace of mind ;)

PS: Can't believe so many posts on someone dropping a smartphone in the toilettes. Don't remember if any iPhone 4 or 4S's dropped posts :confused:

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Maybe I am old school or old fashioned but am I the only one who finds flaw in the OP's thinking here?

Does no one want to be responsible for their actions anymore. Is everyone looking for someone else to be responsible for their problems?

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand not wanting to pay, but you broke it, so its your responsibility. As adults we all have to bear the consequences of our actions. In this case by dropping it in the toilet your negligence broke the phone so its on you to pay for the replacement.

I'm not trying to sound harsh but it is what it is. Bummers on your loss, I can understand your frustration :(

14. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Leave it in a ziplock bag with unboiled rice for a few days to make sure that you've removed as much humidity as possible before testing it again.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So instead of being honest you come up with a lie that would still void your warranty? You people are too much...

16. trssho macrumors 6502

17. omenatarhuri macrumors 6502a

I don't know how it is there, but sometimes over here the home insurance can provide some comfort in these situations. (End up paying 150 EUR instead of new iPhone 660 EUR).

18. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Know several people who have done the rice thing and it worked fine.

Everytime I've been to an Apple store for repair or - the first thing they check is water sensors. I'll bet they have heard every story in the book and that is why the water sensors exist and why they check them.

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

The most I’ll “allow” you is to say you dropped it in the sink while washing dishes.

20. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

Be honest with the Genius Bar...

Tell them you were taking dick pics for your girlfriend after enjoying a delicious bucket of KFC and the phone slipped from your fingers into the toilet...

They will understand...It's happened to the best of us...

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Keep in mind that an iPhone exposed to water may work initially after putting it in the bag of rice and drying it out--but in a few weeks it may stop working.

If that doesn't happen to you--great. If it does, take it Apple and pay the fee. In these situations, Apple will offer to sell you discounted Applecare plus for an additional $50. Since you are a bit accident prone--I'd add that as well.

You could have left off the excrement bit--just saying. :)

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed, Apple may replace it without charge. It is worth trying, but if they don't then the OP will have to cough up the money.

23. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The odd thing is it seems to be the mindset for any Apple product. Nobody ever posted "I crashed my car into a tree, do you think Chrysler will replace it for under warranty?".

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Its because Apple have such a generous returns policy if products go wrong, consumers then feel they can be cheeky if they make a mistake themselves I suppose.

25. DariusX macrumors regular

And why should apple replace your iPhone for free when you broke it due to your stupidity?