Dropped iPhone 5 w/Damage!!!

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
To make a long story short. A co-worker dropped my new iPhone 5 at work on the asphalt of our parking lot. Cracked glass near the camera and dented aluminium on the band with hole enough for dust to go in.

Have an appointment with a Genius Bar tomorrow to see what I can do. What are my options to those who has a similar problem?

-I don't have applecare+ because it was a white one and was awaiting to exchange it for a black one before buying it.

-Im willing to purchase a new one or a replacement one. How much will it cost me, full price or replacement price? My co-working is forking up the funds for this mess.

When I get the new or replacement phone, will I still be able to purchase AppleCare+ like I originally intended?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Moral of the story, don't let incompetent co-workers ever look at new gadgets.

Thanks!

nikhsub1

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
You may get lucky with apple just replacing it, but likely not. If not, how did you purchase the phone? If by credit card, check to see if they cover accidental damage, i know for sure Amex does... they will pay to have the phone replaced. Good luck.

robaroo

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
why would apple replace a phone that you dropped and broke?

i think your only option here is to have your coworker buy you a new one.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
To make a long story short. A co-worker dropped my new iPhone 5 at work on the asphalt of our parking lot. Cracked glass near the camera and dented aluminium on the band with hole enough for dust to go in.

Have an appointment with a Genius Bar tomorrow to see what I can do. What are my options to those who has a similar problem?

-I don't have applecare+ because it was a white one and was awaiting to exchange it for a black one before buying it.

-Im willing to purchase a new one or a replacement one. How much will it cost me, full price or replacement price? My co-working is forking up the funds for this mess.

When I get the new or replacement phone, will I still be able to purchase AppleCare+ like I originally intended?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Moral of the story, don't let incompetent co-workers ever look at new gadgets.

Thanks!
Your co-worker should offer to pay for it. If I dropped somebody's gadget, that would be the minimum I offer.

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
why would apple replace a phone that you dropped and broke?

i think your only option here is to have your coworker buy you a new one.
Out of goodwill. That said while they did it quite often in the past they have become very strict now and are not very likely to do it. That's why they introduced AppleCare + in the US.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
$229 at most, might even be $0 if the OP was smart enough to purchase with a CC with accidental damage protection.
Technically, you could call Apple within 30 days and get AppleCare+...I wouldn't do it personally since it is buying insurance after you had an accident, but Apple will let you do it. Then, it will only cost you $50. I will leave the ethical part up to you. :)

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Technically, you could call Apple within 30 days and get AppleCare+...I wouldn't do it personally since it is buying insurance after you had an accident, but Apple will let you do it. Then, it will only cost you $50. I will leave the ethical part up to you. :)
I don't think you can't do that. If Applecare+ is purchased after the phone is in hand, you have to take it to an Apple store to have it viewed by them before they will add it.

Dstopsie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
You can't do that. If Applecare+ is purchased after the phone is in hand, you have to take it to an Apple store to have it viewed by them before they will add it.
No you don't. I bought AppleCare for my iphone 5 and I live 2.5 miles from apple store. Did it over the phone just had to give them serial number and my credit card. No mention ever of going into store to have it inspected