Dropped Macbook 13"- Battery Door moved and now won't line up properly

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Plasmatic, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Plasmatic macrumors newbie

As the title says.

A dad dropped my aluminuim Macbook 13" and the system runs fine, no issues with that, but I noticed the battery door had moved and wedged itself so there were gaps at the edges. I removed the door, and try as I might, I can't get it to line up properly.

I'm really upset about this, as I've had it for a year now and really looked after it.

I have the three year Apple Care plan, and I'm going to an Apple shop on Saturday about my iPhone anyway- do you think this problem is fixable?

Thanks,

Katie

2. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I dropped mine as well and it doesn't line up. I also have an extended applecare, but it doesn't cover accidental damage, they will only replace if you come in for a non related issue and for some reason you need a new body. I could be wrong though.

3. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a shame.

I don't mind paying though, if it can be fixed.

Does anyone know if this can be repaired?

4. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Not a pointless bump, it's just I have an update.

There is a noticeable dent in the right side (disc drive side) of my macbook, right next to the corner. I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible the corner has 'changed shape' and this is why the battery door doesn't fit now?

Again, is there anything that can be done to restore it's beautiful aesthetic without replacing the whole machine. It still works fine, I just hate it that it's dented and wonky underneath :(

Please help!

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Disassemble it and take a small ball-tipped hammer to the corner and re-shape it?

6. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure if I'd be the best person to do it :D

Could I pay Apple to do this?

7. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Get your ****ing friend to pay for it, this is why I never let anyone handle my 1k laptops. :/

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No. They'll charge you for a whole new case.

9. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know roughly how much this would cost?

Xbox: Obviously I'm annoyed, but he thought I wanted it moved (odd, because I never let people touch it) and as he went to give it to me, it just slipped out of his hands.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

They'd charge way too much...several hundred I'd wager.

www.ifixit.com sells the top cases used. $199 for non backlit models and $249-$299 for backlit models.

Even if yours is backlit, you can buy the non-backlit model and swap over your keyboard/backlighting parts and save $100 or so, it's just a fair bit of work, ~50 screws to remove the key section I believe.

11. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for that! I'll look into it.

Woah, several hundred? I guess I'll stick with this one for a while then and save up for a brand new Macbook in a couple of years. :/ Gutted though.

12. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Alright this is a much 'easier' situation now. My suggestion (considering topcase replacement will cost a LOT) is to just save up, wait for the new mb's to come out, then buy one of those. (And sell your dented one to me ;))

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Also, be aware that any dents will completely void your Applecare warranty, if you have one.

14. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

My AppleCare is void?!

Noooo..... I still have two years on it. This is so unfair.

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's the policy. Since the machine was dropped with a fair amount of force (enough to dent the case), any damage/component failures (HDD, logic board) may be due to that drop/shock on the component, and Apple can't be held liable for it.

It does suck, majorly, but it is the case.

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Which actually doesn't need to be a lot of force at all. Unfortunately, that's Apple for you. That's also why my next computer isn't an Apple.

17. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

This is terrible! I'm a student, and I can't afford to buy plans that become void, and then have to pay for repairs that should be covered by that. AFAIK, everything is working on this, I've checked most of it. Surely something that happens next year won't be related to a dent?

I've loved having this Macbook, but this has really upset me. I'm a Photography student and this is vital for my studies.

18. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

We're not talking about a dent — we're talking about a case where the shell has warped to the point where the battery door won't even line up anymore.

19. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah right, I thought you were referring specifically to the dent I'd mentioned on the corner.

Do you think it will cause issues later on for?

20. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I don't quite understand what the problem is. However if it's just the bottom casing, you can ask Apple to send you a new door.

EDIT:
    Oh, that's a bummer. I doubt a new door would help you there. :(

21. Plasmatic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I guess this means I'm stuffed really.

From what I've now read, the chance of subsequent problems is pretty high, and I won't be able to afford it.

Going to ring the insurers today, see if there's anything they can do.

Apart from that, is there any point in getting one of those cover/shell things they sell on the Apple shop to ensure the battery door is fixed on better?