Dropped macbook. DVD drive broken...Anyway for me to reinstall OSX?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WillMak, Jun 8, 2008.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

My macbook has had a bad dvd drive for ages since i dropped it when i had Tiger. However, it still worked when i upgraded to leopard. However, I am having problem galore since hte leopard upgrade and would like to do a fresh install...but now my dvd drive doesnt respond anymore. Is there no other way to reformat now?

2. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

So the comp would detect that even during formating when there is no OS on?

3. dot_null macrumors newbie

Yes, it would work fine with a USB DVD drive. In fact, my MacBook's DVD drive broke recently as well. Just a couple of days ago I formatted the drive and reloaded OS X with an external DVD drive without issue.

I believe the procedure is to hold down the "option" key while booting, and then you will be presented with a screen giving you the option to choose between booting off of your HDD or from the install DVD. Just press the right arrow key and press enter, and you should be off to the races. :)

This procedure works with my Rev. A Macbook, a no-name USB enclosure, a Lite-On drive and OS 10.4 DVDs. Good luck! :)

4. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Hmm.

Since you do legally own leopard, you can go to a torrenting site, download Leopard, and after getting the .dmg use disk utility or iPartiton or something to create a 8gb partition. Use the restore-source or the super-duper thingy to put the DMG on the 8GB partition. Youll be able to get Leopard again.

This isn't suggesting piracy as he already has a legit copy of leopard. Technically, it is a grey area, but since he owns it... yea.