Dropped my 2007 MBP and and then managed to break a ram slot!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacGirl420, Jun 29, 2016.

1. MacGirl420 macrumors newbie

Bought her brand new back in 2007 for school, but got a 27" iMac in 2011 and relegated her to traveling for awhile but over the years hardly even turned her on. Totally baby'd this laptop, was still working flawlessly even though the battery had crapped out and didn't have a scratch on her.

Anyways, I just connected her to my coffee roaster and was so damn excited to actually have a use for her to run a data logging app and upload to dropbox. Well, today I knocked her over and the hard-drive apparently failed....in my frustration, I read a post about someone just having a ram stick get knocked out of place so I took my top stick out and managed to break the connector by shoving it in flat instead of at an angle (noob mistake)....bottom still works I think as I still can boot to recovery mode with just it in.

I'm assuming it's not worth putting a new hard-drive in or if it's even possible to replace the ram slot without putting in a whole new logic board? Has anyone replaced just a ram slot before?

What should I do with her? The battery is shot, so anytime me or my kiddos steps on the cord it immediately dies. I've got all the data backed up so I could wipe it and attempt a re-install, but I'm pretty sure the drive is toast.

Would you recommend just laying her to rest?

I NEED to find a cheap fix or another laptop ASAP though just to run my coffee roasting software and save the data to dropbox so it doesn't need much power.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

Attached Files:

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Either retire it, or --- use it with just the "good, working" RAM slot. It should still run.

3. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

From an economics point of view, a new HD + the max ram that one slot can recognize is the most you might want to think about. She is kind of old, after all.

4. MacGirl420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to run it off an external hard-drive in its current state?

5. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

If it has Firewire or USB2, then yes. (I am not a laptop fan, so I don't follow specs).

6. MacGirl420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just installed Mavericks on her from Recovery Mode right onto the hard-drive I thought was dead (previously was running Lion) and she's up and running! Not sure for how long, but its a lot quicker than it was before! Literally seems like a new machine and it has 1/2 the ram! Pretty upset that I f'd up the RAM slot still, but pretty stoked to be able to log my roasts for the time being!