Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So I was in school and was using my black/slate iPhone 5 before class started and my friend bumped me to just try and mess around a bit and he knocked my iPhone 5 right out of my hands (I made a desperate attempt to grab it and I did manage to almost catch it, but couldn't get a grip on it mid-air) and onto the tile/linoleum/plastic/whatever floor.

My iPhone 5 is completely naked, as I was waiting for my case to come in the mail. It landed on the back, bounced, fell down on an edge, and landed face down. The drop was about 3.5'-4'. Needless to say, I freaked out and looked in horror as it lay there on it's face on the ground. I picked it up, examined it thoroughly, and to my surprise, there was NO damage. None. No marks, no scuffs, no scratches, no dents, no chips... nothing. And again, this is with the black/slate model that supposedly suffers from scuffgate and is easy to scratch.

Nope, not at all, this thing is tough as nails. It looks brand new, as if it was just taken out of the box. So, for those who are all scared of scuffing or scratching their iPhone 5 or on their black/slate iPhone 5, don't worry about it, this thing is built tough. The edges also look perfect, for those that are wondering.

The ironic thing was that when I got home 30 minutes later, my case had arrived and was waiting in a package in my mailbox.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
So I was in school and was using my black/slate iPhone 5 before class started and my friend bumped me to just try and mess around a bit and he knocked my iPhone 5 right out of my hands (I made a desperate attempt to grab it and I did manage to almost catch it, but couldn't get a grip on it mid-air) and onto the tile/linoleum/plastic/whatever floor.

My iPhone 5 is completely naked, as I was waiting for my case to come in the mail. It landed on the back, bounced, fell down on an edge, and landed face down. The drop was about 3.5'-4'. Needless to say, I freaked out and looked in horror as it lay there on it's face on the ground. I picked it up, examined it thoroughly, and to my surprise, there was NO damage. None. No marks, no scuffs, no scratches, no dents, no chips... nothing. And again, this is with the black/slate model that supposedly suffers from scuffgate and is easy to scratch.

Nope, not at all, this thing is tough as nails. It looks brand new, as if it was just taken out of the box. So, for those who are all scared of scuffing or scratching their iPhone 5 or on their black/slate iPhone 5, don't worry about it, this thing is built tough. The edges also look perfect, for those that are wondering.

The ironic thing was that when I got home 30 minutes later, my case had arrived and was waiting in a package in my mailbox.

Good story. I was showing my iPhone 5 to a co-worker today and he dropped it from about 4 feet on to a carpeted floor (thank goodness). No damage at all and no scuffs. It can take a licken for sure.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
gv0yY.png

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Good story. I was showing my iPhone 5 to a co-worker today and he dropped it from about 4 feet on to a carpeted floor (thank goodness). No damage at all and no scuffs. It can take a licken for sure.

Yeah, it was awful watching it fall... it seemed like an eternity passed as it fell slowly, slowly, and then crashed onto the ground and bounced, only to fall again onto the cold, hard floor. No, but in all seriousness, this thing is tough and can definitely take a beating. When I examined it I was expecting for there to be at least a couple scuffs, scratches, or dents. This whole scuffgate crap needs to end. I've witnessed it first hand. It's a non-issue.

----------

Lmfao, literally just made me laugh out loud. I figured I'd post this just to calm down those people who are freaking out over "scuffgate".

sonamara

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I... wasn't so lucky. My iphone was only about a week old, and I still hadn't found a case I liked, so it was naked. It had already started getting a few tiny chips, so I was thinking scuffgate was serious and I should cover up already. But I couldn't see these little marks anyways without looking close, so I wasn't that bothered. But a little more than a week after I got my iPhone, came Hurricane Sandy :(

When the power went out, I was using my phone as a flashlight while I brushed my teeth. But my clumsy self knocked it off the bathroom counter and onto the cold, hard, unforgiving tile floor. I couldn't see any damage in the dark, but in the morning I could. It still makes me cringe...

There are 2 huge gashes on the beveled edge to the left of the screen. It's hard not to notice, the big silver marks stand out against the polished black band. I tried covering up with black sharpie, but its not perfect and keeps wearing off. I don't know what to do now. Even with a case on and not being able to see it my OCD instincts will be killing me... I keep a sharpie with me at all times now for touch ups and I'm still going crazy :'(

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Wow, you guys are clumsy lmao the only time I dropped my phone was when I was in gym class and I jumped and somehow it flew out of my pocket.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
lucky you. my wife dropped her iPhone on the road and it has three dents just right above the lightning port:/

Mark316

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
I've dropped my 4S countlessly on hardwood at various heights and I don't even cringe anymore because there's never a mark on it...that's quality. Freaking out and having to check every possible corner for dents or paint chips, not so much

andrewicloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
I dropped mine after the headphone wire got caught on a bush! It has scratched all the colour off the bezel and the back panel! Also with use its just showing more marks and it's awful.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
YMMV as we can see above. You dropped it on a surface that is not abrasive. If you drop it on ceramic floor or concrete, you will not be so lucky. Mine flew off of my center console while driving and taking a turn, bounced off the seat, hit the passenger door and fell into the plastic pocket area on the door, not a mark on it but this is non abrasive material. This doesn't make me claim it is bulletproof and tough as nails though.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
No more than a LUCKY fall as this iPhone 5 is not a rugged device. The aluminum case is very soft and coating easily scratched. A friend has been using his 5 naked and the back is full of little scratches from just setting it down on his desk.:(

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
No more than a LUCKY fall as this iPhone 5 is not a rugged device. The aluminum case is very soft and coating easily scratched. A friend has been using his 5 naked and the back is full of little scratches from just setting it down on his desk.:(

That's strange since mine is naked and has been tossed around in my boat and car since launch day with no scratches.

grant.nytn

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010

Mine fell 3' to a concrete garage floor without ANY damage. Seems like there are many "lucky" falls with the iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

sonamara

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
That's really, really sad. You should probably see someone about that.

Ya think? My friends make fun of me constantly. I just tell them it's the stages of grief. I still haven't realized how stupid that sounds.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Mine fell 3' to a concrete garage floor without ANY damage. Seems like there are many "lucky" falls with the iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

Go do it again and see how lucky you are!:rolleyes:

If you think your phone is that rugged, go ahead and do it again!:eek:

----------

That's strange since mine is naked and has been tossed around in my boat and car since launch day with no scratches.

Why you think it is funny I do not know. I am telling you what my friends new iPhone looks like. HaHaHa:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.