Dropped my iPhone 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caradelevingne, Sep 9, 2014.

1. caradelevingne macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone,

So yesterday I dropped my iPhone 5C from around chest height, and the tempered glass screen protector shattered, thank God it protected the screen. There are no other damages, but I'm afraid that the hardware or screws in the motherboard would go loose, would it?

The reason why I'm so afraid is because my telco contract ends in a year, which means no changing of phone for another year. I treasure my phone alot, so I hope you guys will kindly enlighten me on whether the hardware/parts would go loose in the phone. Thank you :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A fall from chest height most certainly could jar loose the internal components. You may still be able to get it repaired. I'd check in with where you bought it and ask if it can be repaired/replaced with a minimum of cost.

3. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Other components are unlikely to have come loose.

A screen replacement is a relatively easy job to do yourself. Its just fiddly. Watch you tube vids and see if you are comfortable doing it yourself. Paying apple for a screen replacement or someone else will be expensive relative to the value of the phone.

4. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

You are afraid that the screws on the motherboard came loose after you dropped your phone that works fine after the drop?:eek:

5. caradelevingne thread starter macrumors newbie

I surely hope that nothing will go loose :/

----------

Hmm, then how do i know whether are there loose parts in the phone?

----------

Oh, cause different people gave me different answers. Some would say that internal components might go loose whereas some would say that it wouldnt. Whats the best bet?

6. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

Shake the phone. If you get rattling noises surely something is broken inside

7. caradelevingne thread starter macrumors newbie

Shook it pretty lots of time, seem to hear nothing.

8. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

You are fine then.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you may have dodged a bullet, at least on the internals. You said the glass broke, though. That's a bummer :(

10. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Ive replaced two broken screens on friends iPhone 5s.

Nothing inside will go loose. There is virtually nothing that can go loose. Only thing I can think that may go loos are the buttons. The motherboard is screwed down and nearly everything on the motherboard is flat.

You are worrying about nothing. The thing you should be concerned about is cost to fix the broken screen.

11. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

I guess the op's screen was protected by the tempered screen

12. GadgetSN macrumors 6502

Youre right I missed that part. Therefore the OP has nothing to worry about.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Tempered glass screen protector. Screen itself was fine.

Enough to make me consider buying one though.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I see, I misunderstood the OP's post. I don't see too many people with tempered glass screen protectors but that's really a good idea.

15. caradelevingne thread starter macrumors newbie

You really should, it is available on Amazon/Ebay only for a couple of bucks, less than 10 bucks. Much more cheaper than replacing the screen if you happen to drop it! :)

----------

Thank you Mr.Moderator :)

----------

Thank you to every single one of you who replied to this thread. I appreciate it and want to thank every single of you :) And, i would recommend you all to get a tempered glass screen protector, cheaper than what is needed to repair the screen if you dropped your device!

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I've heard good things about Spigen, but only bought their bumpers, myself.

17. caradelevingne thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, Spigen tempered glass protectors are bascially the same the other brands :) i myself are using those normal ones and seems to protect just fine so woulnt recommend to pay more for the same stuffs! :)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I may have to look into this a bit more. I'm considering getting phones for my kids soon - this would hopefully help protect them.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sure they'd say otherwise ;), but that's good to know from an actual, experienced user. :D

20. caradelevingne thread starter macrumors newbie

Any reviews on the Otterbox Defender? Heard they hold up drops pretty well. :D

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Alas, I don't enjoy walking around all day with a motorcycle helmet on, so I don't let my beautifully-crafted $800 phone do the same. Also, even if I did, I wouldn't say bc then we'd run the risk of this thread being relegated to the Accessories subforum.

22. 1981d macrumors regular