Dropped my phone in the toilet....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RSNL, May 9, 2012.

1. RSNL macrumors regular

So..it finally happened to me.

I dropped my 4s in the toilet 3 days ago (thankfully before I used it) and without much thought grabbed it as soon as possible. It got wet, the speakers were buggy and weren't working for awhile. It wouldnt play music for a bit even when plugged into auxillary in my car. I used a blow dryer (don't know if this was a good idea) but it started working after that.

So pretty much my question is should I get it exchanged or should I just forget about it. I have applecare+ so it would only be 50.00. What would you guys do?

2. Syk macrumors 6502a

Does AppleCare cover that? I don't have it but if it did for $50 I would.

Also it probably would have been better to leave it off and put it in a bag of rice for week or so.

3. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

Fortunately yes, applecare+ do cover accidental damages.

4. Syk macrumors 6502a

I guess see how it works over the next few days and see if you want to pony up the $50. You already paid for the Apple Care.

I still would probably turn it off and sit it in a bag of rice for a few days if I decided to keep it.

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I am always amazed when I see these posts. I can't believe this is still happening. Sorry this happened to you, but why are people still taking phones into the bathroom?:confused:

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

There will be corrosion festering in there for years to come and something will eventually fail. Replace it if you can.

Hell, that's half the point of having a smartphone!

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Might want to just say you dropped it in water, a sink or something. Otherwise they might call biohazard, and refuse to touch it.
    Go Go Temple Run >.>

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Generally once you drop it into water, you want to immediately turn it off, shake the phone so all the water comes out, put it inside a bag of uncooked rice and let it sit there for 24-48 hours while it is off. Or you can place it in a silica gel (which works as well). Once you think it's completely dry, you can turn it back on, assuming that all works fine. Yes corrosion may come into play thus hardware will start to fail.

You might as well get it replaced to prevent any further damages done to the device.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What happens when you drop an Android phone in the toilet?

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Flush it with the rest of your ****

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Because they can't walk there themselves and you don't want them making a mess on the floor.

12. RSNL thread starter macrumors regular

It's working great right now, but like most you said there might be internal damages in the long run. I guess thats why I coughed up an extra 100 for that applecare. I wonder if the applestore will replace it with a white one (wishful thinking).

13. rentallease macrumors newbie

bag-o-rice

i left mine in a bag of rice for 10 days and expected nothing and it worked.

14. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

Just one more point to consider...even if you manage to get all the water out and dry it and prevent long-term corrosion, whatever.

But you are holding this phone to your ear next to your face after it was in the toilet, a place where everybody leaves who knows what...
    I'd try to get it replaced.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Unless $50 is an unbearable expense, I would just get it swapped out, especially if you plan on selling the phone at some point. Corrosion is a pretty nasty thing. Phone could work fine forever, it could work fine for a while and then "all of the sudden" act up, or it could never work right again. Depends on the damage. To me, $50 is worth the peace of mind. THat's why you bought Apple Care+ right?