Dropped phone in water and now it's... fine?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikepro, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mikepro macrumors 6502

About a week ago my wife dropped her iPhone 4s into a bowl of water that our daughter was using for water paints. The water was blue from rinsing the brushed off.

I was at work when this happened, but she googled what to do and put the phone in a baggy of rice. (She didn't turn the phone off though, because she was afraid to push any buttons). When I got home I looked at the phone, and it had water in the dock connector still. I turned off the phone, and blew/shook out the water as best I could. Put it back in the bag of rice, and set it on top of the warm cable box overnight.

Next morning I went to look at it, and the phone was on. Must have somehow turned itself on overnight. I though "oh well, it's been on this long, let's see if it works." To my surprise, everything seems to work just fine. It's been a week now, and she's had nor problems, other than a grain of rice stuck in the headphone jack that I needed to pulverize with a needle to get out.

I'm kind of surprised she hasn't had any issues so far. Just thought I'd share to give hope to all those that post their water horror stories. We have AppleCare +, so we can get a replacement for $50 if it does start acting up.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Im so happy for you!! :) awesome iPhone success story!

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Sometimes it not the phone failing at first but the oxidation caused by the fluid causing failures after a while.

5. Boiler macrumors regular

Great discipline drying it without checking too soon

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

It's only been a week, see how it is after a couple months. In most cases this happens, it takes some time before the damage becomes apparent.

7. canderton macrumors member

Similar story with me.. don't ask how it happened but my 3GS was dropped into a rubbermaid trashcan that was full of water and I watched as it sank to the bottom. Screen was on the whole time. I grabbed it out and the screen started flashing and wasn't responsive for about an hour. The headphone jack also stopped working, but over the course of 3 hours or so everything slowly started working again.. no rice or anything other than just letting it sit. This happened about 7 months ago and the phone works just like it did new to this day.. keep in mind that I got it back in July '09.