Dropped SS watch in gym with sports band on

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by KauaiBruce, Sep 12, 2015.

1. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

My watch landed right on the corner where the band goes through. I now have a very tiny dent in the metal there. My sports band still works fine but I can no longer put the leather band on. I do not live where I can drive to an Apple store.

My main question is whether they can fix that if I go to the Apple store next time I am on Oahu. I do not have apple care on mine. I can live without the leather band but it would be nice to have the option when I am going somewhere nice.

If they cannot fix it, what are they charging folks to swap it out? Is this even an option? I still love the watch but the world will not end if I can never use a metal connector.

Thanks for any tips.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I assume it's been more than 90 days so you won't be able to file a claim with your CC company under accidental damage protection?

They won't be able to repair dents so it'd be $329 for an out of warranty replacement. Alternatively, you can try to sell it on eBay and use the proceeds toward a new one.

3. doboy macrumors 68000

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I'd use a file and smooth down the ding.

Got a pic?

5. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Hmmm. a file might be the best way to fix it. I am not sure if I have ever seen a file that small though. The file would need to go into the channel. I'll check that out. I have tried getting a picture to post and just cannot get one worth bothering with.

6. deany macrumors 68020

deany

do you have what we call in the UK 'building & content insurance' on the content insurance side it will or certainly should be covered by accidental damage.

Its just what the 'excess' is I think you guys call it 'deductible' and how the apple watch claim would effect the future insurance renewal cost.

Maybe be worth looking at.

Cheers

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

They've got round, skinny files. I'm sure there's one that can fit.

As a guy, I'd take every opportunity to buy a new tool. *caveman grunt*

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ouch a file may be too destructive, I don't see that attempt fixing it but making it worse.

9. Roller macrumors 68020

How did you pay for the watch? Some credit cards (e.g., some Amex cards) will pay to repair accidental damage during the first 90 days.

10. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Perhaps a Dremel tool would be the best option.. those have hundreds of tiny specialized files and grinder attachments available.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cannot go to an apple store for this, try calling apple and see what they say.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

My only reservation about a Dremel is that it allows mistakes to get big quickly. But yes, it will save a lot of time (without the watch, all the "elbow grease" of filing won't count as "exercise" anyway), and they have bits nearly small enough for dentistry.

Besides, every man… or household… needs a Dremel. ;)

13. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Thanks everyone. I got the watch on day 1 so way out of the 90 days. I did find files small enough on ebay for about $10. I will try local stores tomorrow.

14. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Is
    Do you live near a a Jewelry store? Many Jewelry stores that make their own jewelry, especially small mom and pop stores, have tools that may fix damage for you. I would look around and see what they would charge to work on it. It might be cheap and good quality work.

15. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Can't believe nobody has brought up AppleCare+. If you don't have it already you can probably still add it. Then you would pay the incident charge and get a whole new watch.

16. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

The OP already stated he didn't have AppleCare+ in his original post. He said later that he purchased his Watch on day 1 and is too far out to add it.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

There come a time when a guy realizes that just getting a new tool does not make it right. I would like to see you file work on the AW!

18. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Ok. I'll let you know when I drop it on its corner, too.

19. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

2nd for jeweler suggestion. Nothing Apple will do here. If you want to try yourself, an emery board followed up by some polish should do pretty well since you have SS.

20. KauaiBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

All is fine now. I found some small 'needle files' at Home Depot for $12. The round one easily went into the channel and after a few gentle swipes on the edge my classic leather band easily slid on and locked into place. You have to look very closely under bright light to see anything at all. I want to thank the guy who suggested a file. I am thrilled to have the dressy look back when I need it.

Now all I need is Watch OS 2. :)

21. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

Maybe a file will fix that? Get it? ;)

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to fix your watch.

22. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Good one! :D

I figured a little metal work would be a lot less hassle than sending it in for repair.