Dropping AT&T Unlimited & Going To Verizon!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdonoughdr, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mcdonoughdr macrumors member

So Basically, I have an iPhone 4S on AT&T with Unlimited data, but my contract is in 4 days! I am thinking about leaving att and going to Verizon for the New iPhone with the 4GB data plan. I mostly want to do this because of Verizon LTE and AT&T dropped calls. Is this worth giving up Unlimited Data?

2. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Give up your unlimited plan for some oogly red check mark?
    [​IMG]

3. mcdonoughdr thread starter macrumors member

Yea cause im tired of AT$T and there crappy service

4. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

You are going to miss Unlimited. I'm just telling you now.

5. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

I left Att for Verizon 2 years ago and I'll tell ya their service is great

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The grass isnt always greener.
    That red verizon check mark will take all your money and leave you broke:D

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't think unlimited is such a big deal if you continuously never go past 2GB. If he is sick of AT&T, and Verizon is better in his area, yeah, he should switch. Unless unlimited is that big of a deal to him, I don't see why not.

8. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and work in Miami, been using ATT since the Cingular merger, and they have gotten better.

HSPA+ covered basically everywhere I am, and LTE covered in both cities, if I upgrade I will be fine....ATT does have a dropped call problem, but I wouldn't give up my unlimited data for it. I also call and surf the web at same time, I know verizon is getting it eventually, but doesn't have it now.

ATT isn't amazing, but it has me covered where I need, but if you want to jump ship, just know Verizon is basically the same thing, their just the political parties of the Cell phone world, but you could always test the waters and return if you aren't satasfied, gotta love returns.

9. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

Unlimited is like a rare luxury now. Try to stay on it as long as you can because you can't go back.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What ever works best for you OP is what you should do. Cell coverage is dependent on location and if Verizon has better coverage in your area, then go for it.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

After years using both, Verizon is the best at extracting the most money from me :)

AT&T's the one I can count on. Best connectivity, best customer service, twelve years of trouble free service.

All that plus a grandfathered unlimited data plan that's never been throttled despite my vast data usage.

Thanks AT&T!

12. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I'm thinking of doing the opposite once my VZW contract is up. Heading to Sprint or T-moble so i can upgrade phones at fair prices without losing unlimited data. Now about that LTE... :eek:

13. CoriG macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat.... I usually average 1.5-1.7 gigs per month and I am just sick of dropping calls in west los angeles. With Verizon and getting the 6 gig plan, I would be actually saving $10 per month (compared to what I pay now on at&t) and would be able to tether my ipad and facetime. I have wifi at home and work... I just cant imagine going over the 6 gigs a month since I dont stream music.

I am very curious to hear other's thoughts since my mind changes daily!!

14. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Just a FYI. I did this 5 months ago or so, and went to Verizon. I hated it! For the same matching plan it was $50 more expensive, I had worse coverage in Texas, the LTE speeds were not all that, 6mb-10mb down usually, sometimes I saw 15mb. AT&T LTE see's easily 40mb+.

Also had issues where data was not working on my tower near my house suddenly and called Verizon several times and they said they see no issus with that tower. I said it just started and I can't get my email for work. They basically said well something changed in your AREA and too bad. I was like well by then. They let me out with no ETF and I went back to AT&T. No issues with AT&T and RARELY get drop calls. Better clarity calls with AT&T too while everyone on Verizon sounded mufled.

15. takeshi74, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective. I thought so. YMMV. Not everyone does. Take a look at your historical usage and consider your future usage.

Again, subjective. Don't assume your needs/wants/preferences are universal no matter what the topic.

Not with throttling IMO. Again, subjective.

16. kannesss macrumors 6502a

my verizon is ok, just really high priced for one phone.

17. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Don't drop AT&T until you try the service on Verizon. I wish I would have been able to try Verizon before I bought my 4S because I never would have signed up with them. I can't make a phone call with my 4S in my house and on data, well, it's non existent. I get the small o and no 3G. I have to use my 3GS on AT&T to make calls at home.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

love all the people going on and on about unlimited data. It's a thing of the past people get used to it. Those that are excited because they haven't been throttle even with their "extensive" use of data don't worry, ATT will get to you and you will be throttled. SO keeping a service simply because you have the now mythical "unlimited" data is just moronic. Go with the carrier that serves you the best and move on with life. Certainly no need to share the decision on the internet.

19. skysailing, Sep 2, 2012

skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

[​IMG]

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Spoken like someone without unlimited data. :p

21. Applejuiced, Sep 2, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Exactly.
    Its not "moronic" that I'll now be getting 5GB's of unthrottled LTE data on AT&T while others will pay an arm and a leg for that same amount on verizon or AT&T's new share plans. Instead of $30 you're looking at $50-70 for that amount of data.

22. skysailing macrumors regular

skysailing

They see us rollin'. They hatein'

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

I still have unlimited but don't go over 3gigs......... All of you that are "laughing" it up now will be the same starting new threads about how crappy ATT is for throttling your service. Then we can all sit back and laugh at you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbk2GIp9M9I

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Where's the .gif for that :D