Dropping your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Feb 21, 2013.

1. shenfrey, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

shenfrey macrumors 68000

We all know the damage it can cause to the external casing, scratches and scuffs and dents etc. But what can this do to your internals? Can dropping your iPhone slow your phone down due to something being knocked, or can it completely kill off a piece such as the motherboard as an example and leave you with just a brick?

Edit: corrected a word.

2. cynics macrumors G3

Anything could happen. I doubt you could drop it and your phone slow down though. The board in the iPhone is well supported you'll be much more likely to break the glass before damaging the internals.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've dropped my iPhone three times, first time while at the pool, as my hand of wet. Didn't cause any issues except for a dent on the edge. I guess I'm just careless now as it's already damaged. Otherwise, the phone works great.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Last time I checked the motherboard and other operational parts of the phone aren't external.

5. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

Apologies, it was suppose to read internals :)

6. syd430, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013

syd430 Guest

without a spinning HDD it's unlikely anything would be damaged or come loose.

7. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

I think he meant internals guys:)

It all depends how high your iPhone falls from really. the inside of an iPhone is pretty snug and tightly fitted, so when they do fall, there isn't much room for the internals to move at all.

BUT, if your iPhone takes a serious tumble, or get run over by a car or truck, etc, you have a good chance of ending up with a broken motherboard.

I have seem cables come loose from minor falls though. For example, we repaired a phone that just a slightly cracked digitizer, but also was not powering on. When we opened up the phone, we were able to see that no damage had came to the motherboard, but the LCD flex cable became disconnected from the motherboard. Its also not uncommon for the digitizer flex cable or the wifi cable to become unattached from a fall. Majority of the time though, all you have to worry about is the externals