Drops of rain water on Retina 15 inch 2013 Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by florin0x01, Apr 19, 2019.

1. florin0x01 macrumors newbie

As the title says, some drops of rain fell on my Retina 15 inch 2013 MBP, on the left side of screen, a few on the left speaker, a few on the left part of the keyboard.

Wiped it immediately, no signs of fault (didn't turn off, everything working).
    Should I assume everything ok?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The odds of a few drops doing anything is small, just keep the laptop off for a few days to be safe.

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Depending on the level of exposure, the MacBook may be fine. With heavy exposure, these are my recommendations: turn it off immediately, disassemble the unit, examine it for signs of surface liquid, clean all the affected areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, and place the equipment in a sealed plastic bag with bags of desiccant for a few days.

Sometimes, the liquid has no immediate effect. It can take hours, weeks, or even months before an issue surfaces. Other times, the liquid will have no effect if it has not come in contact with the internal components.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

If everything seems okay. It probably is.

If this just happened recently. I'd shut it down and remove the battery. As the water can move around and possibly fry something. If it's already been a few day. It has likely already dried out.

When you get electronics wet.
    1. Turn off immediately
    2. Remove the battery if possible.
    3. Open up as much as possible.
    4. Let dry several days to a week. Place in front of a fan if possible.
    5. Don't turn on to see if it is okay until the full drying time has elapsed. No matter how tempted you are.

If they get wet with anything other than plain water. You really have to dissassemble and remove the battery. Then flush with something like isopropyl alcohol. Then follow full drying time. Residue from liquids can speed up corrosion.

5. florin0x01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks. The reason I am asking is that I also have a 13 inch mac with spilled liquid (currently in repairs) but it shut down completely right after 2 minutes. It then entered only safe mode after cleaned with isopropyl alcohol 2 days after.

6. currahee2100 macrumors regular

You’re fine. I spilled half a bottle of beer on my 13” MacBook Pro (yeah, kill me) and it’s running just fine.

7. florin0x01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but on my other 13 inch the liquid which was actually spilled somehow affected the gpu in such a way that it disabled 3d acceleration.. So I think it did not like the beer in my case.

8. currahee2100 macrumors regular

Weird. Mine was all over the keyboard. My laptop before that, I've spilled a half can of coke and its still ticking. I guess I just got lucky.

I can understand your paranoia though but I think you're good!