Drug czar deployed for GOP, papers show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Jul 18, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another entry in the "honor and dignity" file...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-drugczar18jul18,1,7034554.story

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The honesty and integrity of the Republican party is amazing. I really think they are setting the bar high in the US and are setting an excellent example for the rest of the world to follow.

[/sarcasm]

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i do think this will be the lasting political legacy of the bush administration: turning the executive branch into a GOP election machine. it may take a while, but i suspect we'll eventually see a lot of laws enacted to prevent it from happening again.

i think the issue here is that this WH feels absolutely zero shame. in the end, even Nixon had some left. but none in this administration, i fear.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which is what we saw after Watergate, but you see that these guys just learned how to get around those laws.

Either that, or you'll see the Democrats utilize the GOP precedent next time they get someone elected POTUS. Why any future administration would install anyone but a complete toady as AG is beyond me. We've all seen the benefits of having a yes-man at the helm of Justice. And if the left is smart, they'll undertake a 30 year program to stack the SCOTUS with pliant members too. And when HRC takes office, why should she disclose who she met with for her Health Care Task Force? And if Bill Clinton had had Bush 43 to cite as precedent, he could have just told Ken Starr to go **** himself, and not turned over a single document nor presented himself or any staff member for interrogation.

That's what I fear is coming.

Nixon wasn't as power-hungry.

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I would not say that necessarily. After all, the term "imperial presidency" was invented to describe the Nixon White House, and this was before Watergate IIRC. I think the difference is that Nixon was more motivated by paranoia, and Bush more by demands of total loyalty. A subtle distinction perhaps, but I think it plays out in decisions the presidents made, such as Nixon allowing John Dean to testify before Congress, and George Bush forbidding the same for Harriet Meirs.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ever more laws and regulations. Ever more concentration of power to the central government, whether the bureaucracy via Congress or the administration by various laws or executive orders.

mac and I can argue about how to achieve societal goals, but I don't think either of us will see meaningful efforts toward achieving them: Power and perks are far more important to those with the power. Getting or maintaining power has become the primary goal, along with control of the federal budget--to be used to buy votes via programs and subsidies.

'Rat

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is getting ridiculous. I try to read the news almost everyday, and even I can't keep track of it all. No wonder your average person would rather hear about Paris and Britney and Lindsey.

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Did you hear the Britney and her mom got in a slap fight????

Back to topic. I think Bush is more glory hungry than power hungry.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sadly... yes, I have.