Drug legalization

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 13, 2010.

?

Should drugs be legalized?

1. Keep the laws as they are.

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Legalize only marijuana for medical purposes only.

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Also legalize marijuana for recreational use.

37 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Also legalize prescription medications.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Also legalize cocaine.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Also legalize heroin.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Legalize everything, and treat addiction like a medical problem.

22 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

In the SWAT thread, there was some mention of ending the war on drugs. I'm curious about where people stand on this issue.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd be ok with legalizing pot. Anything else, like heroin, cocaine, meth--I'm completely against legalization. It would be an utter disaster.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, pot I think would be ok, but not the hardcore stuff.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

To sum it up (as I'm tired tonight), legalise everything, but stuff that is considered by scientists to be more dangerous than alcohol should probably only be available on prescription.

Its not that much of a priority as the benefits of just legalising pot aren't that great IMO.

Certainly if you follow the British approach which is basically that pot is decriminalised unless you're dealing it doesn't seem worth fighting the outrage.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Weed is harmless compared to most other drugs/medications/alcohol. It should be legal.

I would love if coke was legal, but that will never happen.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Free up the police so they can focus on serious crimes. Definitely up for legalising pot. Should it become a problem in some way, re-classify it.

I float back and forward on this one because I've smoked pot for years (woke up and had a packed hookah waiting beside my bed), and I'm fine. You'll hear this repeated in the thread, because it's true -people do and have smoked a lot of pot and in some cases become nicer people over their experiences with it. When I was in my early 20s however I knew I had to ditch those friends and ditch that habit and get on with Uni/career.

But, a lot of the people I left behind, weren't capable of doing the same. The withdrew further and further. I don't think pot is addictive - I smoked daily for years and stopped in a day and never had a smoke again (I lie I did have a smoke once or twice at uni). I also did the same with cigarettes, smoked for 10 years and stopped in a day. But I do think that some people are incapable of being sensible.

However alcohol is worse, so there can't be much justification for the current situation. Ignorance and tax has left us in a paradoxical position on cannabis and alcohol.

Edit: Like hell should we legalise prescription meds.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Never had that happen, thank God. My wife would **** if I woke up next to a hookah.

Just goes to show, drugs can make you do stupid ****. Be careful.

</sarcasm>

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Legalize everything, quadruple penalties on any crimes committed while under the influence.

9. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Interesting idea, so long as you quadruple penalties on anyone who commits a crime while drunk too.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't really care one way or another if pot is legal (I'm not going to be using it either way, and everyone I know that cares about using it does it even though it's illegal), and I definitely think there should be some illegal drugs, but I'd like there to be fewer. I think there are way too many drugs that require a prescription.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I find that alcohol is worse than marijuana by a long shot anyways, so I would definitely include harsher penalties for drunks.

12. ethical macrumors 68000

Excellent idea for all the addicts who are already stealing to pay for their fix!

13. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

If drugs were legalized, I would expect costs to go way down, and I would also expect government intervention to prevent crime and to help people who needed assistance to get off of drugs.

14. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Doritos supports this 100%.

I would really like the laws to stay as they are, but I am a realist and know that it is draining our law enforcement's resources. Pot isn't that big of a deal. I would want more stringent laws to deal with fatalities resulting from being high (as well as alcohol) though.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If they are already stealing for drugs they are going to jail regardless of legality of the substance they are stealing for. The revenue generated by legalization would be more than enough to pay for improved treatment centers and education.

There is plentiful supply of drugs on our college campuses yet most of our students don't end up as drug addicts.

16. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

I'd be for legalizing anything that grows in the ground (pot, cocaine, opium, hash). I think state governments should treat these drugs exactly how it treats alcohol. If states taxed drugs, they'd all be back in the black, with the added benefits of reduced taxes, eliminating property taxes, etc.

The federal government needs to stay out, as they have no business regulating drugs; it's a states issue.

17. ethical macrumors 68000

Who pays for that? Import tax on coke? But that would push the price up....

How is the judicial system going to cope with the massive increase? You can't deny there won't be a massive increase surely? What revenue from legalization?

EDIT: Just saw your addition to your post:
    I hope this doesn't make me sound snobby, but in my opinion (and experience - there's a plentiful supply of drugs where I am too) students are far more capable of keeping it recreational than the unemployed and uneducated. I have (ex-)friends who have taught me this. Although just to add, I have never seen Heroin or drugs such as Crystal Meth floating around uni. The only times I have seen those the users have been an absolute mess. The addiction has seriously messed them up.....thus the ex-friends.

Note: I voted to legalize cannabis. I'm not against all drugs....just the hardcore stuff.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think most hardcore drug addicts think of the penalities when they do some of the things they do under the influence. You're assuming a person remains rational--and afraid--of consequences while under the influence.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The judicial system is already going to deal with these people anyways, I just want the penalties to be increased to dissuade people from being irresponsible while doing drugs.

I don't think legalization is going to have much effect on the amount of people who choose to buy drugs, its too easy to get the stuff already.

And they would pay dearly for not doing their drugs responsibly, its called personal responsibility. If I drive my car 150 mph and kill someone I deal with the consequences.

20. ethical macrumors 68000

barkomatic's post above yours is very true. People are rarely rational when on drugs. Harsher penalties aren't going to stop them. In fact, while drugs are illegal, why don't the government up the penalties now in the effort to eradicate them? I don't think it's that easy.

If it was legal I would buy drugs. I don't at the moment because regardless of the availability, I'm too afraid of the impact getting caught would have on my future. I think there are a lot of people in my position. As a comparison, I don't download movies illegal from torrent sites....but if it was legalized then I certainly would. - I know its not a perfect comparison, but you get the point?
    But you're aware of the consequences. Only a selfish fool drives his car at 150mph, knowing that if something goes wrong he could kill someone else. A person off their face on drugs has no such conscious thought of responsibility or safety of others. If you are trying to scare people away from doing the drugs, then why legalize them in the first place?

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I've been watching this mess since the early 1960s. As far as I'm concerned, the War On Some Drugs is far more of a war on the Bill of Rights. Legalize all of it for now. If need be, we can always figure out some rational way to deal with designer drugs and methamphetamines. We certainly would be able to afford it.

Heroin? Like marijuana, it's a tranquilizer. If produced in a legal market system, it would be as cheap as any other happy dust. No need for crime to get money to buy. Marijuana was $20/ton cattle fodder until the government got involved.

Let the non-violent drug prisoners out. Save $30,000 per year each in tax dollars.

And on and on and on.

Health factors? We're told that there are some 700,000 health related deaths per year from booze and 'baccy. I've read that health-related deaths from illegal drugs total out around 30,000 per year. A bit of a dichotomy about relative hazard, seems to me.

I don't care if somebody is drunk or is stoned. What's important is the when and where--and, of course, how often. Not a lot of difference between the two conditions, from what I've seen...

I can live with risk. I don't like living in the police state to which anti-drug laws are forcing us to endure.

'Rat

22. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Legalize everything.

How? It'd cripple organized crime, save the government millions, etc.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Agreed.

24. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Freedom is a disaster?

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd support legalization of weed right away.

And while I'd say keep harder drugs illegal currently, don't go after users, go after suppliers. And treat addiction like the disease it is. Over spending on the war on drugs should be cut, with some of it redirected to addiction programs.

As far as this talk of freedom, I agree with it in principle, but rushing into things too quickly would just be irresponsible. Certainly don't target users as the current war on drugs does, but legalizing it all right now would seem to risky a plan(ignoring the political fight that would take, which wouldn't be worth it, baby steps first)