Drug tested before recieving welfare check?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What do I think??

I think they should also be tested for alcohol, and nicotine as well.

<thread steal>

Up in Ontario, GWT, "they" are rebelling on getting their money via debit cards. They will be stigmatised wherever they purchase anything, is their lament.

Of course, the real reason is that the Government can track how they are spending their "free" money.

</thread steal>

3. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

No, sins of the father and all that. While it sounds like a good idea on the surface, I'd say that it will likely unfairly punish the children of drug users.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Without question. Then again, I also believe that welfare recipients should be on [temporary] birth control.

Ironically, the thought behind the introduction of the EBT debit cards here was to remove the stigma of going to the grocery store and paying with food stamps.

If you're spending your welfare money to buy drugs, then you've pretty clearly demonstrated that you don't need to be looking after children in the first place.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

excellent answer

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

How about testing recipients of all government assistance? Why single out welfare? How about college students? Medicaid recipients? Oil companies? Banks bailed out? Wall street?...

7. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Right, and then we'd be talking about criminal proceedings and something completely different from eligibility for welfare benefits. My biggest beef with this law is that there is no presumption of innocence and Rick Scott is pretty blatantly playing to stereotypes that welfare recipients are all shiftless, lazy drug-users. Nothing like a bit of class-baiting to motivate your base. :rolleyes:

8. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

They will be able to channel the welfare through a close friend or relative that has not tested positive

as far as presumption of innocence and playing towards a stereotype... if it is only a stereotype, then the drug testing should be no big deal.

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I think it's retarded. Gov Scott continues to live down to expectations.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

True, or show-up with someone else's urine. Are they gonna watch? More airport BS?

"Methinks they doth protest too much"? It does seem to scream that, doesn't it?

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

What about college students? The only money I get guaranteed from the government are grants(if qualified) and a stafford loan, neither of which I see...they go straight to the school. Not that I use drugs but it seems you dont understand the financial aid process.

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I don't see how presumption of innocence plays into this; we're not dealing with criminal court here. Welfare, which can be loosely defined as the state paying you not to be a nuisance to society, is not a right but a privilege. As such, the state can set certain prequalifications to determine eligibility.

I'd like to know what applicable rights you think are being violated with this requirement.

13. 184550 Guest

Both sound like great ideas to me.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are on welfare you should not be able to afford drugs in the first place, what is the problem?

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

That they are using welfare funds to buy drugs...

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Exactly, so what is the problem with testing? It sounds fine to me.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Feel free to buy and use drugs with money you earn, not with a taxpayer handout.

18. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Maybe they should also test for this Kool-Aid everyone is talking about.

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

BFF ? :)

Why is that? I have to take them to keep my job. Why shouldn't they have to take on to get their check ? Punish the working man ?

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

how about the guy who buys and sells drugs with his welfare $$$ but does not use?

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Everyone receives welfare.

Everyone uses or receives services which promote the general welfare of the country and which come from the general funds we all contribute to when we earn income or buy goods.

To say that some people are in a different class because they receive income assistance or disability assistance is a delusion. Everyone receives support that assists in their income. The wealthiest among us receive the most support of all, in the building of roads for infrastructure, public schools for a labor force, and the wealthiest often have a hand in making sure they contribute the least--sometimes absolutely nothing. There are entire agencies of government in farming, energy, etc., devoted to setting up the means and policies by which private companies make money.

If you exist in the United States of America, you have received some service at sometime that was to promote the general welfare of you and of our country. To designate a separate class that should be drug tested is delusional and is symptomatic of you seeing something ugly in your mind: a separation between good and bad, that doesn't exist in the real world. We all give; we all take. What you see in this futile attempt to needle some imagined community of people is what you see in yourself: a good and a bad, neither of which is real, and one which is always judging the other.

If welfare is a thing to be "on," we are all "on" it. There is no separation here.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

there is no way to tell. besides I'm guessing drug dealers making some money. Are you for drug dealers collecting welfare?

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

is that a real question?

24. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I think the same about "O".

Anyone notice that 6 year olds crotches weren't being groped during the "Evil Bush" years?

Maybe. The. Best. Post. Ever.

25. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

Well said. it's not a right.

Maybe if people couldn't have booze and cigarettes (or other less legal drugs) while on welfare they might be inclined to work to get out of their situation.

I mean welfare has it's place, and some people need it. But i see people abusing it all the time spending all of their cash on alcohol, tobacco and lottery tickets, and having the taxpayer by food for them.

The welfare system should be there to help people get on their feet and walk for themselves not a free powered wheelchair