Drugs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Phat_Pat, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

so i just finished my first year at college. (united states... california)

living in the dorms i was obviously exposed to a great deal of drugs... pretty much almost anything you can image i've seen/delt with. (obviously i havent seen or delt with all... i'm just saying ive seen alot)

im not sure of of macrumors policy on drug talk, or of that nature, but i was curious on what everyone thought was acceptable usage?

or if any form of intoxicant is acceptable... even in small usages

wheres the boundary in everyones mind?

can their be a balance?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if MacRumors does allow a discussion on this matter, what have you seen and dealt with?

i believe anything made or manufactured synthetically is very harmful and should not be taken. it can become addictive very quickly.

natural drugs i feel very different about and can be used in moderation.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Honestly, I could care less what people do in their own homes and recreationally, so I am in favor of legalizing drugs (though I don't touch any of them myself). The only ones I see that need regulating at all are those that are super addictive, like heroin. pot, cocaine, lsd, shrooms, should, in my mind, be legal to buy and sell. Would certainly cost us a lot less in enforcement, incarceration and make money in taxes. Most are certainly less dangerous and addictive than alcohol. legal drugs with stiff penalties for driving under the influence works well for me.

And yes, lots of people find a good balance with all those drugs. People sometimes don't, but I think that can happen with just about anything in your life, even going to the gym or going out to clubs.

Personally none of them agree with me. My mind and body feel to separated and I don't like it. And many last too long and I hate the idea of being out of control for that long.

4. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I agree with the last poster quite a bit. There would be huge benefits to legalising drugs, especially when you consider the fact that keeping them illegal DOESN'T WORK IN STOPPING THEM. Plus, if they were legal, regulations on them would exist, and thus, we could try to make them a bit safer to take. I absolutely hate drugs and when people abuse alcohol, and most of the time, someone telling me "I use this drug," or "I get drunk all the time," is enough for me to say "I'm going this way now." I can't stand drug-use, I hate seeing people use drugs, I don't want them around me, I don't want them anywhere, but I 100% support the legalisation of all drugs. I see no reason to keep them illegal any longer, as it's a waste of money for something that isn't working, and it doesn't affect me at all. When it does, I leave, simple as that.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Most drugs are bad.

Weed is good :D and it should be legalized. This country wastes waaaay too much money arresting people and jailing them over a plant. Legalizing it would save us tons of money, plus it could be taxed for even more money.

Alcohol and cigarettes are far worse for you than marijuana.

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Well said both of you - I have nothing to add :)

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this will probably be moved to the PRSI forums, but in any event:

there are a good deal of drugs that are horrible and can cause addiction. there are some that are illegal that are, for the most part, harmless.

is there anything wrong with drug usage? no. but it is something that a lot of people can't handle, at least in the US, people are horrible at self-regulation and keeping things in moderation.

but, the 'war on drugs' is a waste of money and there are a few, or at least one drug that should be legalized in order to make things a bit safer for everyone, which really is the biggest problem with them right now: without standards drugs can become very dangerous as you don't know what it is you're getting exactly. at least not all the time. i'd rather have a regulated and taxed industry that leads to better quality and less wasted law enforcement resources.

that said, i don't have much desire to use any drugs, but even the legal ones: tobacco, pain meds, alcohol are dangerous as it is and deadly or moreso than some of the illegal ones. i don't like the cherry picking of which ones are 'okay'.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I can agree with that.

/Dave's not home.

9. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

in my opinion, all drugs (including advil) are poison and should be avoided if at all possible.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Something tells me this will turn to a Marijuana thread, go off track and become wasteland'd.

I agree with money being wasted on the drug war. It's comes down to America holding onto it's pride and being too stubborn to admit they were wrong. There has been more than a few times where marijuana was the scapegoat to America's problems.

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't know what MR's official policy is, but I would not suggest saying anything incriminating. You never know who is on the boards and what you post here will be forever searchable in the bowels Google.

As far as acceptable usage, that depends on the person. Everything in moderation, IMO, and your life/daily routine shouldn't revolve around the next time you use. For example, if you feel you need a drink, smoke, or whatever at the end of each day to "unwind" then you are probably using the drugs to mask a deeper problem and that's not healthy.

Lethal

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There's absolutely no basis for that argument. 100% "all natural" drugs can be just as dangerous and addicting as manmade drugs, and there's no reason to believe that "all natural" drugs have any advantage for human wellness over manmade drugs.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not true I'll eat a pufferfish like an apple before I'll ever take an advil!

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I, too, hate when people mention that something is "all natural." I literally hear this all of the time. People think that because something is "natural" or "grows in nature" that it isn't destructive/poisenous/addictive/bad for you? Honestly?

What did Socrates die of again? Oh yes, that...

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Pure, 100% All-Natural Rattlesnake Venom. Try some today!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Not intended to treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think it's a tricky one.

Everywhere should legalise pot IMO. I can't recall the last time I heard of a pot head beating anyone up, causing trouble, mugging/robbing people for money to feed their 'habit'. As others have said, alcohol and tobacco seem to cause more problems. Now I realise this is because they are in wider use, but even if you were to put things on an even playing field I don't see pot being any worse.

When you're talking the hardcore class A's though, I think it's very different. Sure, maybe people should be free to do as they please, problem there is that these do cause massive problems for people outside of just the 'user'.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its not an arguement its just how i feel and what i believe. marijuana, peyote, mushrooms etc might have dangerous long term effects if taken in high dosages over a number of years but they are not as addictive and not as both physically and mentally harmful as tobacco or alcohol… yeh i have a few spliffs (joints) every now and again with a few mates.

i didnt mean "all" natural neither did i say it. a lot of growers these days use hydroponics and mix god knows what with it. what i meant is the basis is natural as its a plant that grows in the ground from mother nature.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

So Various opioids, cocaine, Datura stramonium and shrooms are intrinsically better for you than LSD, MDMA, 2CB and 4-AcO-DMT?

Nearly all drugs are in general a bad idea, all but a few of them tend to upset your chemical balance, cause receptor downregulation and generally screw you over in one way or another.

Whether a drug is natural or not is pretty much irrelevant, whether it is free of adulterants or free of other random unpleasant psychoactive in it's natural state and of course whether the substance itself is vaguely fun/safe is very much relevant and by that metric whether something is natural or not is inconsequential.

You can pretty much screw yourself up on anything, I may be a tie dye wearing acid dropping hippy but I don't have any illusions to this.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downregulation

Example: You start taking an SSRI which causes elevated levels of serotonin, your serotonin receptors then downregulate to compensate so after a few months on the drug it doesn't seem to be working anymore though if you stop taking it due to the lag in upregulation you experience the joys of serotonin starvation for a week or two as your brain readjusts to the new levels.

Tolerance to drugs typically works by this mechanism and the issues caused by drug abuse are often due to your brain not working properly as it recovers. This is why I don't do anything psychoactive more than once a month or so, this does not apply to all drugs just a hell of allot of them.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

O.K. I've got it. It's just that I was reading a article on management bollocks speak immediately before reading that,it's certainly an ugly use of language but at least I know what it means now.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not really a fan of drugs so whatever legal status they want to give them won't affect me, apart from the mugging and such to get money for a fix.

After seeing how just cannabis f**ked up my brother I'd probably have a nice little counter argument for the "it's nothing but good for you" folk, but it's way too early for me.
    Oh let's throw 1 point out there...
    He stole money from an aunt, from me and from his place of work during Work Experience just to feed his pot habit. No pills, no booze, just pot. It got so bad we had to install locks on mine and my parents bedroom doors and money is never to be left outside these rooms.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't doubt in large quantities it would render you a useless waste of annoying space, but then exactly the can can easily be said for alcohol - which as we all know is legal, and generally makes people behave like cocky wankers.

Not trying to justify his behaviour at all, it sucks when people become dependant on anything and cause agro for other people in seeking more of it. I don't know anything about your brother, but I'd wager if it were a drinking problem of equal seriousness, it would have been even worse.

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I dislike pot intensely myself, I hate what it does to people and I've seen it turn those I care about into useless zombies but your brothers problems are down to him simply being a prick, it doesn't change your personality and it's not physically addictive, he was just a selfish twunt.