Drunk Man Accidentally Shoots Woman in Movie Theater

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by APlotdevice, Jan 24, 2016.

1. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Full Story: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/shooting-reported-at-renton-movie-theater/

2. Tech198 macrumors G4

Why was liquar allowed in a movie theater? I'd blame the door people for letting them in, they could clearly see a gun Rather than risk being shot themselves, they'd rather in-danger all others ? umm.ok Least he turned himself in.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Charge him with attempted murder and a whole laundry list of other charges.

4. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

I don't understand your thinking Tech198. :confused:

Who said that liquor was allowed in the movie theatre? The posted article read, "Investigators believe the man was intoxicated when he entered the showing of the film..."

You would blame the "door people" because you are certain that they saw a gun as he entered the movie theatre.

Finally, you deflect blame from the irresponsible idiot who was drunk in a public place while armed because he called 911 after leaving the scene and endangering countless other citizens. :eek:

You are joking, correct?

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

well, put it this way,,,, wouldn't a gun in a public place let alone a place where u'r supposed to be watching a movie, and holding a gun spark attention ?

no one would see him in ? of course they would. unless he conceived it.

Not saying that liquor was the cause, but only assumed. How many people have u seen shot someone in a movie theater that was totally aware of what they were doing ? Plus, the article said he was "stumbling out", why would u stumble out of a theater if your not drunk ?

In the movie theater yes endanger the public, because u'r not there to shoot people.... Your in a watch a movie *with others" others which are not aware of this guy and his actions.

While the article doesn't mention, u can put 2 and 2 together and assume he was drunk... with or without a bottle in.

If u'r in public place in a park, or driving recklessly, u'd be doing the same thing... in-danger to people''s lives.

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Was this a "good guy" with a gun? Or just a drunk guy with a gun?

Let's assume that 99% of gun owners are responsible; and would never handle or carry a firearm when intoxicated.

In a state with a couple hundred thousand CCW permit holders, this means there are two thousand idiots who would, occasionally, carry a gun while impaired. And its only a matter of time before stuff like this happens. And its unfortunately the case that incidents like this - with an accidental or unintentional shot goes off - are far more prevalent than most people think.

Yes: Maybe the people at the theater should have refused an intoxicated person entry. But what would have happened if he got argumentative, and pulled his gun out? Its hardly unknown for people to do stupid stuff like that.

Drunk people are dangerous enough as it is. But get them in the habit of walking around with a firearm - and its a recipe for tragedy.

Yeah: This guy probably broke several laws, including possessing a firearm while intoxicated. And he did, at least, turn himself in. But by the time someone like that is arrested - chances are the damage has already been done.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Attempted manslaughter. The human jackass wastrel's only premeditated intent was to get drunk. Not to shoot people. Unless he knew the woman?

8. citizenzen, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm assuming you meant "concealed" instead of "conceived," but the article doesn't specify how he was carrying his firearm, or whether it could be seen before his little accident.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 24, 2016 ---
    And speaking of (possibly impaired) people who shouldn't be carrying around a firearm ...

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

10. Scepticalscribe, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I'm a European, so my question - unlike @Tech198 - is not "Why was liquor allowed in a movie theatre?" - but why are guns allowed in a movie theatre?

As a European, I have no problem with - or quarrel with the idea of - permitting the purchase or consumption of beer or 'liquar' in a theatre, even a movie theatre. Indeed, for that matter, I have sipped beer (or, occasionally sipped wine) at real theatres - not movie theatres - while watching plays by the Royal Shakespeare Company, for example.

However, my question stands, why were guns allowed in a movie theatre? To me, - or, to any European - this is quite inexplicable.

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

This sort of thing, where relatively large numbers of ordinary people carrying guns with them nearly everywhere, is a relatively new thing. Even in the United States.

Yes: We've always had the right to "keep and bear arms." And usually, at least in urban areas, that meant some people kept a gun or two in the house, ostensibly for protection in the event of a burglary. And in most urban areas and states, the carrying of firearms was tightly controlled: Usually only law enforcement, or by special permission under extraordinary circumstances - armed security guards; licensed private detectives or body guards.

But over the past ten-fifteen years; those restrictions have fallen by the wayside. The power and demands of the NRA grows year by year. Wisconsin, where I live, for decades had laws that made it a serious crime for an ordinary civilian to "go armed" in a public place. But a year or two into a Republican governors term: Pretty much anyone without a felony conviction get a a concealed carry permit after attending minimal "safety" course.

Its depressing. Its the sign of a civilization in decline.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I couldn't get your link to work, but I found the story here: http://www.sunherald.com/news/local/crime/article56305535.html

Another argument ending in firearm death. What a country.
    It's quite possible that the theatre prohibited guns. I didn't see any mention, but it's not unusual for that kind of ban.

But that doesn't stop people from ignoring it.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

But whether they prohibited them or not, any society which has concerns about serving alcohol in a theatre, but which sees nothing wrong with an armed citizenry happily munching their popcorn, is, I submit, a rather strange world with rather odd priorities regarding what can be done in the public space.

15. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Nobody in America actually thinks that

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No doubt. But you have many people here who believe they should be able to carry their weapon everywhere and at all times. Take jkcerda, as an example. He cries foul because the city of Los Angeles just wants to limit him to 10 bullets in his gun. It's head-shaking to you and me, but gun advocates see things in a very different way, and right now, their view is prevailing.
    Nobody? Are you sure? I think the example in this thread proves you wrong.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

100% sure

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, you're not, because some people DO think that way. They interpret the latter part of the phrase "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed" as meaning it's their God given right to carry a fully loaded tactical shotgun into a preschool.

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

While completely ignoring the "well-regulated" part...

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand? :mad:

21. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Well yes I am. Nobody in America says "omg it's so abhorrent that people are drinking at the theater" but would just act casually if somebody walked into the theater with an ak-47 or something as if that was completely normal. You should check the quote chain before replying to not be confused.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Oh look. Here's one of those people that you believe don't exist ...

23. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

Not relevant to what I said

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because your example only pertains to people armed while munching popcorn?

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The argument isn't that people are blase about coming armed to a theater. But there are people who think it's their God Given Right to come armed anywhere they want, and are fighting for the ability to do just that.

Do you want me to dig up those pictures of people open carrying AR-15's in Target? They're out there, so therefore, you can't be 100% sure.