Dry Counties

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dec., Nov 27, 2015.

1. dec. Suspended

dec.

When I went to see my brother and his family in Texas, I was surprised to end up in something called a "dry county" - a county where you cannot buy any alcohol at all. I found it outright bizarre but people seemed to just sigh and go drive the extra miles to get booze. What actual function - or even advantage - do "dry counties" really have?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think they serve any purpose.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They fill certain residents with a sense of moral superiority.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

Apparently, only a minority of counties in Texas are entirely wet.

25 Texas

Look on the bright side. It promotes fuel consumption, which in turn increases funding available to maintain Texas roads.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The people in those areas bought into the prohibition-era propaganda and decided to keep it going.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Like a gun free zone sign does?

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I suppose if there are no pubs or clubs in the county then there might be less rowdy behaviour?

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Every dry county I've been in is rural, and country folks tend to party at home IME.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Mostly cause there is no where to ******* go. (I've lived in the country too... you can probably guess what I think about that life)

11. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I prefer it actually I get uncomfortable around too many people

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

The same purpose any restriction on narcotics serves.

Alcohol is basically poisonous and 'being drunk' are the effects of ingesting said poison.
    Makes perfect sense to restrict the sale of this substance.

13. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

As a fairly new resident to Texas, I'm glad I travel a LOT for work. This is one example of the "small" government being more intrusive than the "big" government they are all so scared of.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

So that sort of goes against your strong stance on another topic where you are dead against responsible users being penalised.

15. jerwin macrumors 65816

If not, you can always hop in your pickup, travel to a wet county, get hammered, and drive back.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nope. You'll do what everyone in dry counties do. You'll go to the city, grab a bunch of beer, drive back home, go out into the woods, build a bonfire, get drunk, watch your friends fall into the bonfire, then lament your losses the next day.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So how many of your friends have fallen into the bonfire?

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

Various studies of overall harm place alcohol at the very top of the list-- and LSD and shrooms pretty much near the bottom. Don't get me wrong-- I like beer and wine, but the public health consequences of alcohol abuse are pretty dire.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

jerwin is correct - the legal drugs are so far the most dangerous: alcohol and tobacco kill far more people than all the other drugs combined. The WHO estimated that deaths caused will approach the rate of casualties from WWII about 2020 or so...

That being said, I would never live in a place in which alcohol was banned. Once on a flight across the US the flight crew took away drinks because we were over a dry county (or so they said). It nearly caused an airborne riot.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It is a real problem I quite agree. That wasn't my point though. I was simply pointing out a hefty dose of hypocrisy.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    All of them.

22. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When smaller jurisdictions though make these laws it allows people more choice than if it is made at the federal level. If the county that you live in goes dry you can always buy alcohol from an adjacent wet county, or if it bothers you so much you could move to another county. If the federal government makes the law then your only choice is to move to a different country, which is far less feasible than moving to a different county.

23. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

24. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Dry counties are about as useless as a Pennsylvania state liquor store or a New England package store.

The one thing Texas used to have going for it, when I lived there, was the open container law. Spring break in South Padre... We could drive around in a pickup truck with a keg in the back and drink/hand out drinks on the strip.

25. jerwin macrumors 65816

In 2007, New Mexico denied US Airways a liquor license--
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21837295/ns/travel-news/t/no-liquor-permit-us-airways-nm/

There were appeals, and I'm not sure of the ultimate disposition of the case, but

from the district court opinion:

(The 21st amendment ended prohibition, but it also gave states the right to regulate the sale and importation of alcohol, regardless of any interstate commerce interpretations to the contrary....)

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic733689.files/Reading for April 12/ODonnell.PDF

But, I am neither a lawyer, nor a law student, so...