DSC-HSDPA vs LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Sep 16, 2012.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Is it true both O2 and Vodafone will both be rolling Out DSC-HSDPA by the end of this year which will basically be the same as having 4G? And how does DSC-HSDPA work exactly? If you buy the 5 now would it just upgrade to a faster connection without you having to do anything?

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

DC-HSDPA is not as fast as LTE 4G at both of their maximum potential speed. LTE may not be that fast on EE but as it advances, speed should increase. You won't need to do anything for DC-HSDPA, once the network has been revised, a small incremental network update is pushed to your phone, so you can use it.

On comparison, LTE can be 54% faster then DC-HSDPA at it's max capable speed.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Add Three to the list.

And yes, it's autonomous. Depending on what you class as 4G, DC-HSDPA could be 3G+ or 4G. I see it as faster 3G.

4. matttye macrumors 601

DC-HSPA is up to 42mbps, LTE is up to 100mbps.

5. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I think AT&T classes it as 4G in america under the iPhone. But people say it's just 3.75G. haha.. all these numbers. Three will be getting DC-HSDPA and LTE next year as well. They have bandwidth on the new EE networks being rolled out.

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yes but aren't they saying EE won't be reaching anytime close to 100?

7. dchao macrumors 6502a

I'm traveling between the US and UK with my VZW iPad. From my experience the downlink on HSPA+ is roughly half of on the LTE. But the uplink speed is really impressive on LTE, you can reach 5-10mbps easily, only 1-2 mbps on HSPA+.

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

ugh, let's add more to the soup :/

I'm sure Three was mean to roll out DC-HSPA this year?

9. matttye macrumors 601

Pretty much. Providers always advertise "up to" speeds for that very reason.

"up to 100mbps" sounds better than "around 40mbps if you're lucky" :p

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

To be honest, this is pretty poor:

4G five times faster than 3G: based on 1.5 Mbps UK average speed for 3G (source: most recent Ofcom speed survey) and 8-12 Mbps average speed for 4GEE (source: EE data).

11. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Oh xD I mean't that they're rolling LTE out next year, not sure about DC-HSPA. I know they're already HSPA + which is like 3.625555555555555.....G LOL. I know HSPA+ is capable of 11 Mbps.

It's about 5 times yes, I know it's 4 times faster then HSPA (3.5G). The demo on the EE event had a speed of 20Mbps, which is around broadband speed (better then most broadband providers like Sky/Talk Talk/Plus Net). Not as fast as Fiber-Optics, but this is on the go. In US, you can get around 25Mbps-35Mbps, still not as fast as Fiber, but it's definitely very good for something mobile.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yes my AT&T iPhone 4S holds up very well compared to VZW LTE devices in my area.

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

These numbers are killing me on a Sunday :/

I get about 8-9 download at home with Three, about 2-3 with O2.

My home broadband is 8 down, we don't get fibre optic here on the beach (pretty much).

But if EE are quoting their average to be 8-12 download, then is LTE really worth it?

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I wonder if anyone has even seen 100mb/s on LTE haha

15. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

They're being modest, just incase you don't see the full speeds. I know in areas where the technology is fully supported you'll get better speeds, and it can as good as this:

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/47448/ee-4g-launch-speed-tested

What are you using on Three to connect to the network? iPhone 4S, if so you're already using HSPA+ :).

16. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I was thinking that, but there's being modest and then there's putting it down.

17. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yep, but there's so many consumers out there, if for example you advertise at that speed and don't get it then they'll complain, so they'll average the internet speed to something much more achievable. Once the technology is implemented and advances, then we'll see the speed increases and the real benefits of 4G.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Looking at things right now, including the fact that they have a monopoly, I don't see it becoming so overcrowded that would warrant it

19. dchao macrumors 6502a

Never seen it. I have been to quite a few cities in the US. :(

Typically, you can get 50 up and down, which is really impressive already!

20. matttye macrumors 601

Yep. Saturation of wireless networks is always going to be a big problem, but I didn't think it would take this long to catch up to wired networks. I had 10mbps wired internet connections like 7 years ago.

21. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I think it's more for the fact that 4G will eventually become a major consumer product that replaces home broadband. The idea behind the fact that you can carry a dongle around with you to use the internet can be something much more desirable. The speeds are finally catching up to the speeds that broadband can achieve, and hence they're going to push it as a service which can replace home broadband all together.

I think there priority right now is to implement it everywhere, once that happens (which will take A LONG time for US haha), they'll be working with it to make it faster.

22. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They're offering home broadband as well :p

23. Cherimoya macrumors member

It's impressive but only in the same way that a Ferrari can go 200mph. What's the actual use case on a phone? I'd much rather have say a solid, uncapped 5mb everywhere than a capped super fast connection in just a few hotspots.

24. dchao macrumors 6502a

8-9 down with Three? That's pretty good indeed. I can only get 4-5 here in central London. The main difference in LTE is the uplink speed.

25. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

They are? Like a dongle adapter for a sim card? Or an actually wired broadband connection?

----------

What phone are you using? Or dongle?