Dual 1.2 Ghz PowerMac

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I just got my new 1Ghz DP two weeks ago!! As much as I would like an extra 200Mhz per chip I dont dare touch that sort of thing!! Maybe once my machine has got to about 4 years old, just maybe!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
on a Mac, that 200MHz means a great deal. I would definitely worry about processor life, power usage, and heat with his computer tho, because of such a big increase. If he fries his processor, hes pretty much screwed because he has physically modified the daughtercard with a soldering iron. I don't think AppleCare covers that ;) Anyways its nice to see some brave folks out there in the Mac world overclocking their respective wares. :)

400 extra MHz...thats equal to the upgrade from 800MHz

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have to hand it to him... he must have a pair of stainless ones to do that to a $3000+ computer.

Has anyone been running an overclocked TiBook??? I have my rev. a 500MHz, but since it is about to replace my tower I was thinking about MAYBE upping it a little... I would be concerned about generating too much heat and having it crash and melt (litterally)...

I also have installed a GIG of RAM into it, so I don't have any memory issues there :D.

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
I doubt it

Don't TiBooks run quite hot enough as it is? Seems to me overclocking a laptop risks not only expensive hardware, but also your priceless reproductive capabilities.

Simon

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
True that.... It would be cheaper to just get a new system when it comes time. I fully intend to get a new tower by MWSF in 2003. That is, unless something in a release REALLY grabs my attention. Until then, I will 'suffer' with JUST one Mac :D.

The difference between nerds and geeks... geeks have the cool toys :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by sparkleytone
on a Mac, that 200MHz means a great deal. I would definitely worry about processor life, power usage, and heat with his computer tho, because of such a big increase. If he fries his processor, hes pretty much screwed because he has physically modified the daughtercard with a soldering iron. I don't think AppleCare covers that ;) Anyways its nice to see some brave folks out there in the Mac world overclocking their respective wares. :)

400 extra MHz...thats equal to the upgrade from 800MHz
I bet if you modded the case to and an extra fan you could get yer case temps down. And, as long as you can keep the heat down, I don't think this will wear on the proc too much. I mean, Intel and AMD chips usually come "underclocked" so I assume moto chips do to. By "underclocked" I mean they artifficially<sp?>
run the chip at a lower clock speed. For example, the 800mhz P3 I have running on a 133mhz FSB, is the same chip that Intel sold as a 600mhz proc running on a 100mhz FSB. But, since the G4 is nearing the end of it's product life this might be pushing the chip to its limits. In any case, as long as it's properly cooled I bet the chip life will only be shortened by a few years (and w/how often people get new comps this probably won't make that big a difference anyway).

Lethal

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
chill it out....

Get a water cooling system (runs between $150 and $250 for a decent one at http://www.hardcorecooling.com/). You might need to do something to attach it to both your processors, but you could probably get an aluminum (or copper) plate from a local machine shop. Just ask for the alloy that will pull the most heat from the chip.

You will most likely also need to drill a pair of holes into the case to allow the radiator to sit outside of it. I would also place it as far from the case as you can, so that no heat from it, or anything else, will hinder the cooling process.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I have to hand it to him... he must have a pair of stainless ones to do that to a $3000+ computer.

Has anyone been running an overclocked TiBook??? :D.
You have to hand it to him and his SS balls. He did a methodical series of changes and documented his results for others to enter with open eyes. Cool. He obviously can solder, if nothing else.

I am wondering about what I can do with this Ti400 in a year or so when I wish I had a 1200 Mhz cooler chip in it. Can some hacker let me mail it to them to upgrade the chip, the drive and the memory?

I would probably then whoard RevA Ti400's :)

I am brave but not skilled.

Rocketman

:cool:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd give it a shot in a year.... provided that you sign a waver :D...

I mentioned stainless steel, since brass is just too soft for doing an overclock on a not-so-cheap Mac...

It was even better that he has screen shots showing everything he did, as well as good photo's to show where he was working.

Soldering only takes a steady hand, and good eyes. Although experience teaches how much to do and when to stop (that's what makes people good at it).

CurtisWB

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2002
NM
Dual 1200

I must smile. The next Mac upgrade will be a 1200 Gig Power Mac. It will be in a few months. When you open the case, you will notice that they will have simply done a little soldering. ;)

SpiffyGuyC

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2002
Re: TiBook Overclock

Has anyone been running an overclocked TiBook??? I have my rev. a 500MHz, but since it is about to replace my tower I was thinking about MAYBE upping it a little... I would be concerned about generating too much heat and having it crash and melt (litterally)...
Hey - thought I would add my two cents, but I take no responsibility for what you do to your machine based on reading this.

I saved roughtly $1000 over the summer by purchasing the stock 400MHz TiBook and upping it to 500MHz. Obviously it runs a little hot, but I have had *no* stability problems whatsoever - a beautiful machine.

I understand that the stock 500MHz models, like the one you have, include a few extra parts (especially under the keyboard) to help with heat distribution. Despite this, I wouldn't push the processor much further. I believe it can be clocked to 550MHz, and in fact this may be as far as the jumpers on the board will allow you to go.

If you're interested in instructions for the procedure, email me at spiffyguyc@mac.com and I'll help you through it as best I can. You'll need to be very comfortable and steady with a soldering iron, and the process is best done under a little bit of magnification - if you're not cool with that, you might want to look for a friend who is rather than attempting the mod yourself. The part's we're talking about are *tiny*...

Hope this helps your decision some.

-S

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Re: Dual 1200

Originally posted by CurtisWB
I must smile. The next Mac upgrade will be a 1200 Gig Power Mac. It will be in a few months. When you open the case, you will notice that they will have simply done a little soldering. ;)
Judging by the 2 overclocking articles on previous G4s, It's probably the sad truth that that's all we've got to look forward to that is definately possible

look at the previous few overclocking attempts :

first we have a G4 733 Graphite. overclocked to 867Mhz by changing the multiplyer to 6.5x by some guy, 6 months or so and apple release an official 867Mhz G4.

next we have a G4 867 Quicksilver. overclocked to 1000Mhz by changing the multiplyer to 7.5x by the same guy, yet more months pass and apple release an official 1Ghz G4.

now we have a 1Ghz G4 overclocked to 1.2Ghz, I think it's a safe bet that the next G4s will be at least that speed.

You can find out about the older overclocking attempts on Xlr8yourmac's archive pages.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
is it possible to over clock a 667 tibook. i wouldnt try it on my machine but i just want to know if it might be possible. i wonder if the processors in the revb tibooks are underclocked.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
In a previous thread someone did overclock their 550 TiBook to the 667 by changing the system bus rating.

The more I think about it, I think I will wait for an official speed bump. Then get the applecare protection for it. That way, if anything goes wrong with the hardware (other then from abuse) it's covered.

av11d

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
imac

Anyone try upping the imac?? do you think it is possible, if i really rip the mac apart?

gandalf55

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2001
boston
why are board bus speeds still soooo slow? i mean, intel is gonna release a 4ghz p4... but whats the point?

instead of working on processors, how about working on faster boards and couple that with ddr ram? get **** moving faster with the procs we got now...

imagine a 1ghz board! thats the barrier that would really mean something.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Does anyone here care what intel is going to be coming out with???

Besides the fact that the last two chips that they put out (p3 and p4) got recalled immediately. Can you say crappy QC??? I know you can :D

As for the speeds being 'soooooo slow'... you try running at 133MHz... lets see how long you last... :D

tobyglyn

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2002
Vavatch Orbital

I also have installed a GIG of RAM into it, so I don't have any memory issues there :D.
I have overclocked my 500mhz Tibook. It's now a 550 and is fast and stable.
There have been no problems at all. That said, mine was one of the last of the rev 1 Titanium models shipped, I'm not sure how an earlier model might fare.

I also have also overclocked a DP1000. The only stable speed was 1067mhz. Hardly worth the effort and risk but the single 800 I have is running very nicely at 933mhz.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by tobyglyn

I have overclocked my 500mhz Tibook. It's now a 550 and is fast and stable.
There have been no problems at all. That said, mine was one of the last of the rev 1 Titanium models shipped, I'm not sure how an earlier model might fare.

I also have also overclocked a DP1000. The only stable speed was 1067mhz. Hardly worth the effort and risk but the single 800 I have is running very nicely at 933mhz.
I have an early rev a Titanium... Maybe I will give it a shot when the applecare has run out and/or when I get a new PowerBook (G whatever). Of course, I will pull everything out of it that can still be used, and make sure that I won't loose anything on the hard drive of value.

Could be an interesting winter project in about 2 years :D...