Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Right, I have a CTO Dual 1.42GHtz on order.

I'm upgrading from a 500Htz G4 Sawtooth tower.

I've looked at xBench results and the like, and it seems the new machine will be just shy of 200% faster. Does this sound right to people.

What about real world performance. I mainly use Photoshop, FCP, iMovie, Pagemaker.

Also, will Pagemaker, running in Classic, benefit from Dual Processors?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Where did you find xbench results for the Dual 1.42? They haven't shipped to customers yet.

I think the closest comparison you can get is the xbench from the Dual 1.25 without the firewire 800. That way it's the same amount of L3 cache and the only real difference for xbench will be the processor speed.

In ant case going from a single 500MHz to a Dual 1.42 should be much more than twice the performance.

And yes, Pagemaker will benefit some from the dual processors. More so if you keep other applications like Mail or iTunes running all the time.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Bear
Where did you find xbench results for the Dual 1.42? They haven't shipped to customers yet.

I think the closest comparison you can get is the xbench from the Dual 1.25 without the firewire 800. That way it's the same amount of L3 cache and the only real difference for xbench will be the processor speed.

In ant case going from a single 500MHz to a Dual 1.42 should be much more than twice the performance.

And yes, Pagemaker will benefit some from the dual processors. More so if you keep other applications like Mail or iTunes running all the time.

I haven't got xBench results for the 1.42, I used the 1.25 ones and added a little judgement! My apologies, I should have stated this.

Q: How will Pagemaker benefit by actually having other apps running, I thought that would take more RAM/CPU?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
for rendering stuff, ya you should notice a pretty good difference, but the biggest difference will probably be in general OS use. I have a dual 500 and it's fairly sluggish in OSX for one reason or another, and when I tried one of the dual 1.25's at a local apple store everything was noticeably faster and the computer seemed just generally more responsive

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
I'll definitly benchmark it once I get in my hands... Ive gotten everything I ordered so far besides the tower itself of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.